Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

THE vote

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by PairOfAces » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Trying to add to the discussion on HB without being sarcastic or bullying toward any new members, as talked about in other posts.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming vote to do away with early recruiting? Based on what I have heard so far, it seems like it will pass by a wide margin, but will there be some who vote against it at the ballot box, while publically saying they support the new rule?

Also, does it affect you directly? ie - what age is your DD and is she currently being recruited?

More importantly, will Tim Walton find a way around the new rule and commit a 5th grader next? :lol:

My DD is a freshman, still 14, and has been actively recruited by one school, and what I would describe as followed/scouted by several schools. She was invited to the small D1's winter camp and it seemed like if she had gone, they would have offered her a verbal commit, or so it was communicated to us through her travel coach. We were not in a position to send her to the camp, and it seems like their interest has waned since then. While flattered with their interest, my DD has higher (academic) aspirations - she is hoping for an Ivy - and in no hurry to commit, verbal or otherwise.

I am all for the rule change and hope it is passed, and enforced vigorously. I think 13 and 14 and most 15 y.o.'s are too young to make those decisions, and since it is non-binding, what is the point?
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 pm

My DD graduated college three years ago, so I have no horse in this race. I wish they would do away with early recruiting. I believe it only truly benefits a few and perpetuates a system that feeds on fear and the pressure to commit. I wish the NCAA would finally recognize that Verbals do exist and they should be banned. IMHO if they are not binding, then why have them.
jonriv

by Capone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am

Curious to see what the summer brings at some of the big showcases. Wonder if colleges will try to "offer" more kids because of the new rule or start to slow down. Seems like if there is a change, they would still find a way around the rules b/c there is a lot of money at stake from all the companies that put on showcases/tournaments.
Capone

by stonehurler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am

I have heard if the vote passes in April, it will take years to implement new rules.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by orange socks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 am

What Age levels do you think the players will migrate too as a result of the vote? I was talking to DD's former 16U coach the other day. She said that when she played most skilled players skipped 16U and went from 14U to 18U. She said that if you didn't make the jump you were looked down upon. She actually got to go on 5 paid for college visits before she committed. Wouldn't that be nice?Currently many players are staying down at 14U and 16U in order to get recruited.

So do you think that players will be trying to get on an 18U teams since Jr's/Sr's will be on those teams? Do we expect to still see College Coaches at 14U games?

Many of the top org have typically put their summer teams together in order compete at each age bracket by keeping players in the appropriate age division. Those players that have Birthdays in the late Winter early spring will be placed on those teams so they can go deep in Summer Nat's. Do you think that will stay the same or will those players say screw it! I want on an 18U team? It's a catch 22.
orange socks

by Capone » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 am

stonehurler wrote:I have heard if the vote passes in April, it will take years to implement new rules.

Do you think they will go into effect immediately to prevent a chaotic summer time? I've seen people say different things and not sure if anything has been said officially on implementation.
Capone

by Hinky » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 am

as previously mentioned after
new rules are implemented probably take at least a couple years to see the impact of that due to verbals already being offered. who knows how the college's will react to honoring those or
whatever stipulations they come up with for this/next year. I would imagine the college coaches will still Scout the younger age brackets following progress. really mostly only D1 colleges offer the early commitments so the vast majority of colleges probably won't affect how they are recruiting anyway. Especially High academic colleges of course the IVs all waiting/looking for those high test scores in jr. year.
what age bracket players play for or what age bracket teams may play in could possibly still be irrelevant. even before early commitments started
players were communicating with colleges and coaches with players and that will probably continue. as we all know verbal commitments are a non binding contract by either party. hoping the new ruling ads structure. new rule will probably add a 'binding agreement' which might change or effect people making an offer or commitment on the first player/college that comes along. as their maybe 'binding repercussions.'
to later changing their mind for whatever reason.
Hinky

by SoftballMike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

I have heard that after the vote takes place (April 18th) the new rules will take effect immediately. Otherwise there would be a shark feeding frenzy to verbal every decent player in the country.

I have also heard it might take effect August 1st.

If you look at the proposed changes, if it does take effect immediately, none of the early verbals will be able to even send an e-mail or text, or talk to the coaches at the schools they verballed to until Sep. of their Jr. Year.

A LOT could happen between that time, especially for these 7th and 8th graders. They will be have to hope that the verbal still stands in four years. Good luck with that!

The rule, if adopted, is NO contact either way, no offers, no offers through coaches, ZERO contact until Sep. of Jr. year.

I am all for it. I have a 14U Freshman that has quite a bit of interest from schools, but she is not ready to commit, not even close.
SoftballMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm

I have also heard it would take effect in August. And i have heard that some of the coaches who are on their soap boxes about changing the rule, have been busy verballing 2022s for the last couple of months :? :roll:
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Looks like the vote for eliminating :roll: early recruiting has passed, and takes effect immediately.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to College Recruiting