Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Ivy League Camps Before SAT?

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by catstew2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:57 pm

DD 2020 has been invited to a few Ivy league camps, but hasn't taken the SAT yet. She scored well on PSAT thou. Anyone have experience with Ivy League recruiting? We'd hate to spend the $3k to visit some and no dice, but also don't want her to miss the recruiting window, Thank you
catstew2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Going pre SAT/ACT is a tough one- especially when spending 3k is on the line.

The Ivies tend to recruit later than other D1 schools because grades and test scores are so key. How are her grades and course load? Does she have a realistic chance at the Ivies? Have you spoken with her guidance counselor. How well on the PSAT?
jonriv

by catstew2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

DD is ranked 3rd in her class and heavy AP courseload- her counselor sent her a congrats card for psat score 1160- not sure how that translates to SAT and she ran out of time. Several emails from top 100 colleges/D3s and a few have shown up at showcases. Wait until sept 1st or travel before then. :?
catstew2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

Have many/any students from your DDs school gone to the Ivies?

I would also suggest she take the ACT as well. Some students find the ACT better suited and score better-my daughter was such a case
jonriv

by BB2830 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:23 pm

DD will be leaving in August to play for and attend an Ivy. Recruiting started for her the summer after her Freshman year of HS but she is a pitcher. Her HS is a good school in So Cal but public and she is the only student attending her Ivy although there are 3 or 4 others attending Ivy’s in total from her 2018 HS class. AP’s and AP subject tests a must with ideally 4’s or above. Ours took the ACT based on recommendation and was asked to take it twice. My understanding is there is an average by incoming class that has to be hit so if you have a player score a 34 you might be able to get another in with a 28.

We did an East Coast Showball Camp that summer after Freshman year and lined up meetings with coaches for after the camp. Camp was great with ability to interact with coaches, live games and 40 schools represented and led to large number of verbals but not from Ivy’s as there is no scholarship available so there is also nothing to verbal. Head First Honor Roll camps are pretty much the same thing. Believe meeting with coaches on campus will only be possible after Sept 1 of Junior year now. 2 recruits in her class came about via attending their individual school camps and didn’t happen for them until summer before Senior year. We did not attend camps as we knew interest level and also played on PGF and CO Power Pool travel teams so many opps to see her and her team play.
BB2830

by jonriv » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 am

Pennsbury also had a showcase for top academic players.

If you do plan an East Coast Ivy trip, do not limit yourself to just Ivies. I would also suggest for high academic schools:

1) for Div 1 I would suggest the Patriot League(ie Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Colgate...)

2) DIII NESCAC (Amherst, Tufts, Williams, Bowdoin.....) or NEWMAC(MIT, WPI, Babson...)-disclaimer my DD went to Babson :D
jonriv

by catstew2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Thank you all for your input! High end D3's are pounding her inbox, exciting stuff along with the Ivy's, fun ride!
catstew2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting