Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

How to stay productive in the "off-season"

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by FstPtchFred » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:48 am

Hello softball family,

New to the HeyBucket world, but not so new to softball. i've been coaching the game for close to 20 years now, and I'm constantly amazed by how much time is wasted in the "off-season". I can understand taking a break from travel or league-ball to not burn out from the sport, but for those who are serious about the game, it's imperative to keep your skills sharp and stay focused on your college goals.

A lot of families i work with ask the question "When should we start with the recruiting process"? My answer, you already have if you have a desire to play at the next level. There is a lot of confusion between "being recruited", and carefully navigating the process. I always encourage my athletes to get in front of coaches early and often, because there is 0 downside to exploring the world of college athletics.

Some of the main ways to stay involved with the game, and relevant with college coaches is carefully picking a few camps that feature a large volume of schools, or if you have your list narrowed down, find that school's individual camp to attend.

As a recommendation for strong STUDENT-athletes, Headfirst Honor Roll Camps seems to be the very best when it comes to receiving exposure from top academic schools from all over the country. I've had a few players commit to some prestigious schools by attending, and heard nothing but great remarks, even from those who didnt end up playing in college. I believe their next camp is in Florida in November, and they usually have close to 50 coaches at each session. Definitely on the pricey side, but worth the investment if your kid is putting in the work on the field and in the classroom.

Best of luck to every one early in the school year, and keep grinding!

-FPF
FstPtchFred
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FastpitchPros » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:38 am

FstPtchFred wrote:Hello softball family,

New to the HeyBucket world, but not so new to softball. i've been coaching the game for close to 20 years now, and I'm constantly amazed by how much time is wasted in the "off-season". I can understand taking a break from travel or league-ball to not burn out from the sport, but for those who are serious about the game, it's imperative to keep your skills sharp and stay focused on your college goals.

A lot of families i work with ask the question "When should we start with the recruiting process"? My answer, you already have if you have a desire to play at the next level. There is a lot of confusion between "being recruited", and carefully navigating the process. I always encourage my athletes to get in front of coaches early and often, because there is 0 downside to exploring the world of college athletics.

Some of the main ways to stay involved with the game, and relevant with college coaches is carefully picking a few camps that feature a large volume of schools, or if you have your list narrowed down, find that school's individual camp to attend.

As a recommendation for strong STUDENT-athletes, Headfirst Honor Roll Camps seems to be the very best when it comes to receiving exposure from top academic schools from all over the country. I've had a few players commit to some prestigious schools by attending, and heard nothing but great remarks, even from those who didnt end up playing in college. I believe their next camp is in Florida in November, and they usually have close to 50 coaches at each session. Definitely on the pricey side, but worth the investment if your kid is putting in the work on the field and in the classroom.

Best of luck to every one early in the school year, and keep grinding!

-FPF

FstPtchFred - thanks for sharing and welcome to the HeyBucket team...

Yes... I agree with your advice on recruitment... for those who want to play at the next level.

Some parents think that the "club organization" is responsible for getting their daughter "exposure and recruited"

No... the club team plays at tournament and showcases where there are "college coaches" but it is a VERY RARE instance where a college coach recruits a player via a "cold call" via a tournament.

Yes... it does happen if the players "stands out from everyone else", which is a VERY low percentage of players.

Thanks for the tip on "Headfirst Honor Roll Camps" never heard of them, but I will check them out!

Thanks again for sharing your post and "Keep on "Training the Future of Fastpitch"

Kent Reed
Founder of FastpitchPros
Minnesota Pitching Instructor
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting