Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Contacting a coach ?

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by BeckettColt » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 pm

The DD is getting into the recruiting process. She's tried to contact several coaches with no luck. So, what trick or tactics can those experienced in the proces recommend? How do you get a coach who never answers to answer the phone?omegle discord xender
Last edited by BeckettColt on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeckettColt

by PairOfAces » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 am

BeckettColt wrote:The DD is getting into the recruiting process. She's tried to contact several coaches with no luck. So, what trick or tactics can those experienced in the proces recommend? How do you get a coach who never answers to answer the phone?

You did not state your DD's age/grad year, which is extremely important because coaches can't talk to younger players (or are not supposed to). Check the NCAA website for the recruiting calendar. I have not checked to see what effect COVID19 and the cancellation of the season has had on recruiting, but there was no real recruiting during the college seasons in the past.

You could check into sites like NCSA and fastpitchscout.com. And check the web for examples of how your DD should word emails to a coach. There is no limit to the number of emails she can send.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ballerbuilder » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Hey, how's it going! My name is Jack Kruger. I went through the college recruiting process twice, and my sister did as well (I earned a scholarship to play baseball at Mississippi State University, and she ended up playing on a scholarship for the University of Pittsburgh). Here are 2 questions and a little nugget for you and your daughter to think about.

Question One: is your daughter emailing schools at, below, and above her talent level? It's okay to reach for the stars. But don't forget that emailing schools below her talent level will not only provide a safety net, but will also help build momentum in her campaign. It's not uncommon for those safety net schools to lead into bigger opportunities. This also gives you a greater margin for error. If you wrongly evaluate your daughter's skill level, you can make up for that error by emailing a range of schools. That's the basic stuff. Let's get a little deeper.

Question Two: is she targeting schools that are in DESPERATE NEED of her position? Let's say she was looking to get hired for a job. Would she go to companies that weren't hiring? Of course not. She would go to companies that were in desperate need for employees. I would advise you to think about the recruiting process in the same way. It's a job process (literally...thousands of dollars are at stake!). Look at the rosters of the schools she's interested in. If those schools have a bunch of underclassmen at her position, they won't respond to your daughter no matter how good she is. But, if you find a few schools that are in desperate need of her position, her response rate will increase, dramatically.

The last thing I will leave you with...make the coach's job as easy as possible. Think, "If I were a busy college coach trying to recruit 2-4 classes at the same time, while coaching my college team, while taking care of my family, while having a social life, etc., how could a recruit make my life easy?" The simplest answer is that coaches have to fill roles (players graduate, leave, transfer, underperform, etc), and you should be identifying those roles and showing coaches exactly how your daughter can fill them. Put her value on a silver platter, beautifully packaged, and make it absolutely ridiculous for them to say no. If she can do this, the recruiting process will be much simpler.

I run a site called Baller Builder where I help players and parents navigate the recruiting process. The main idea: simplify the recruiting process without hiring an advisor. I also have an email list (it's free), and I share more content like this in my emails (except I go more in depth and hit on specific tactics and strategies).

I also encourage players and parents to email me directly. My email address is on the site.

Here is a link to the site: https://ballerbuilder.com/contact/
ballerbuilder

Return to College Recruiting