Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Need help with Show Case Tournaments

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by rodneyburr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:00 pm

My daughter plays for a 16U travel team that is going to play in some Show Case Tournaments this fall. I have been asked to help set up player profiles for the tournaments. I am looking for help on what we should do before, during and after the show case tournaments. I plan to print out each players profile and have it at the games avaliable for the college coaches. Do we contact coaches for each kid and let the college coach know the kid is interested in that college and will be playing that weekend? How do you display the profiles so coaches have access to them? Any info on how to handle recruiting at show case tournaments would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rod
rodneyburr

by ECSB » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi - have the girls email the coaches about a week before the showcase. Make sure they tell them the fields and the times they will be playing. Have them put what number they wear. Put their graduation year in the subject and sign it with it - Sara Smith 2012 for example.

Have the kids do the writing. I have heard from so many coaches that they want to hear from the girls, not the recruiter, not the parent, not the travel coach (if they are too lazy to write, how are they going to be at practice?). They also don't like the autogenerated emails from some pay profile sites (heard it from more than one coach).

The emailing is the most important part. If you don't do it, the coaches won't come. The only coaches that watched our team last year were ones that were invited.

Put a book together for the team. Ideally have a team one-sheet with head shots, grad year position and number and email contact. If not, an excel file listing girls name, number contact info and GPA and SAT scores works.

Have each girl do a profile. There are examples at many sites - it doesn't have to be fancy, they don't all have to be alike. Make it one page. Include a picture - preferably one without a helmet on so they can see what the kid looks like so they can pick her out of the crowd after the game. List the kids resume, GPA, awards, stats - whatever you want the coach to know about your kid. Don't go overboard, and don't use too small print - older coaches can't read it. If you want to be fancy, make the profile two sided and put their all-conference certificate copy on the back.

Put plastic protectors in a three ring binder with a divider between each. Put the profiles in by jersey number. I used two carabiners to hook the three ring binder to the fence near the team dugout during games. I have also seen teams set up a table with a file folder with the profiles in it for the coach to approach and look.

Have the girls tell you what coaches they have invited. Have a parent keep a look out for coaches - they usually carry the showcase binder or a briefcase with a notebook that they pull out. They wear school gear (not always but usually). They may sit behind home plate or off by themselves. Tell the head coach when one shows up.

Either before, during or after the game, one of the coaches (not a parent) should approach the coach with the book and say "Is there someone you are looking at?" and hand them the profile and talk to them about the kid. Hopefully, you have been briefed and you have an idea what coach is there for what kid.

If there is a coach watching someone from the other team, it is OK for your coach to approach them and say - anyone you see that you like or you want to take a look at our book?

Otherwise, leave the coaches alone. Don't have a coach sit by them and talk up the kid the whole time - watch someone do it and watch the body language of the coach.

Have a parent designated to grab the book after the game. You will leave it on the fence at least once.

Good luck - and remember the most important principle - if you write them, they will come. Every coach my kid wrote came to watch her play.

Good luck.
ECSB

by jonriv » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm

e-mail coaches-repeatedly

no e-mails, no coaches

Make sure to fill out recruit questionaires on college websites as well
jonriv

by rodneyburr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks
This is great information.
rodneyburr

Return to College Recruiting