Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

D3 Play/Talent

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by fasterpitch92701 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:24 pm

DD is strongly considering a D3 based on the quality of education at any 1 of the 3 colleges on her short list. She has played travel ball at the 18G level (starting) for 3 years, been to Nationals yearly, MVP of her HS team, blah blah blah, etc. Is she good enough to go to UCLA and actually get on the field vs ride the pine? Questionable. The same could be said for Arizona, Washington, Oklahoma, etc. She is also realistic enough to know that riding the pine for 3-4 years is not a "good thing" for her. She wants to play.

The question is about D3 quality of play. Scholarships are not the question as only academic are available (if any at all). Rather, is D3 "often" equivalent to 16U or 18G or ???? I used the word "often" intentionally. There are always exceptions and Linfield or "xyz D3" school could, on any given day, beat a D1... ok, fine. Got that, understand. But, on average... typically... the norm... as usual... on the whole...how would you compare the level of play at a D3? What would be your "equivalent"?

The question is totally subjective and I understand that. What I am looking for is a feel whether playing D3 at many schools is no more than fancy intermural ball with uniforms or whether there is... again, typically... more to it. Some of you folks must have daughters that have gone to D3's as not EVERY Heybucket DD is at UCLA or Michigan or Arizona. Ok, that majority are but A COUPLE of you might not be D1 parents.

I think my DD would be a larger fish in a smaller pond at a D3, would get a great education and be on the field. However, while I know its fashionable to turn one's nose up at D3's as being something just short of chump change, I can't believe that the level of play is horrid. And, no, I don't have any nearby D3's (dammit) or even D2's so visiting is tough. And, the schools on the short list are a 3 hour plane ride away.

Lucid, rational insights appreciated, as always.
fasterpitch92701

by Skarp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Lucid, rational insights appreciated, as always.

Well aren't we picky.

Smaller schools are "all over the board" with respect to all sorts of things, not just their athletics. Big universities are comparatively far more interchangeable in terms of the experience/environment that they offer. The point being that, if you are considering D3 schools, there really isn't any substitute for getting on that plane and spending some time checking them out.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hawk17 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:04 pm

There are very good D3 programs. Just like any other level, there are teams that are excellent and teams that are awful.

Look at their school athletics website. What is their record? Have they won their league championship recently? Have the competed well in their region? Have they gone to their national championships?

Visit the school. Observe their program. Many athletes LOVE the D3 experience and wouldn't trade it for D1 or D2. Other than ego and the fact that athletic money is unavailable, does it really matter? If, your daughter loves the school and the team, and gets to play, that is great.
Hawk17

by ECSB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:57 pm

My DD has been looking at D3 and we have watched a lot of games. I think the level at the competitive schools are like a good 18A or lower level 18G. The pitching is not as fast as a good Gold pitcher - upper 50's with lots of movement will do it. At one D3 that one of my DD's teammate's is looking at the coach said she wants to recruit more travel kids - so I would bet the level at that school is not the best. Other D3's my kid looked at had hitters that looked like D1 -big. Check if the school made it to the NCAA's recently - those are the better schools.

Our problem right now is that not all D3's will tell you if your kid will make the team. "Everyone has to try out" and "no promises, make sure she likes the school". The school my DD likes the most is like that - and I can tell you if she won't make the team she doesn't want to go. Anyone else get this from D3 coaches? It seems like a come-on to get you to the school. Another coach told us most coaches will be upfront on where your kid will fit in on the team - but this school was not upfront at all.
ECSB

by EzOut.EzOut » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:09 pm

ECSB wrote:It seems like a come-on to get you to the school. Another coach told us most coaches will be upfront on where your kid will fit in on the team - but this school was not upfront at all.

Wouldn't the "come-on" be guaranteeing a player a starting spot on the team? I don't know if I would want my kid playing on a team (no matter what level, D1, D2, D3 or 12U) if players don't have to earn their spots by proving themselves everyday. Now, if Daddy has a pole barn, that may be a different story.
EzOut.EzOut

by 3'sDad » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Lets assume for the sake of arguement DD selects XYZ College,a well respected DIII school which offers the course of study DD is interested in pursuing; the campus is spectacular; DD has the grades to be accepted; the school can offer some academic aid and they have a softball team.

DD loves school, is doing well and is on track to graduate on time. While playing softball she is injured and can not longer play at the level the team needs and needs to hang up the spikes. if the only piece missing from the puzzle is sotball as she can no longe play, the overall college experience will have been great. DD will have her degree a great college experience and a few athletic war stories to tell.

Most players don't make much of a living post-college from softball, though more girls are coming back to coach the young and up and coming girls as a way of giving something back.
3'sDad

by fasterpitch92701 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:06 pm

When we visited schools on the right coast it was in February. We saw the fields, or where they were in theory, as the 2 feet of snow obscured the baselines just a bit. Granted, going to watch D3's play would be a good thing, and specific D3's on the east coast even better. It's a matter of timing, money, etc... Regardless, it's something I need to look at.

When DD met with D1 and D3 team members off season it was interesting that, overall, the D3 players seemed more enthused about their team than the D1's. Could have been tides, humidity, day of the week, swamp gas, who knows. Regardless of what school you visit the players are all told to talk the school up and we know that, so, it's like walking on a car lot and seeing a salesman puff up and strut my way.

Education wise... the POINT of going to college... there are excellent D3's and some very good D1's, all expecting 2100 SAT's, 31 ACT's and a 4.2 GPA. Ok... got that covered. The D3's are, typically, expensive, running $50K/yr with a minor chance of some academic money. The D1's... there is academc and athletic... and the obligatory question is "does where you go to get your bachelors really matter if you are going to graduate school"... and looking forward to how to finance that. But in the big picture... the "college experience" and softball... if D3 allows you a better chance of field time, the chance to represent and play for your school, gets you the education and the college experience, and assuming it's not like marginal high school ball... then the downside appears minimal with lots of upside.

Question; anyone know of a D3-centric tourney (or one with heavy D-3 attendence) on the left coast?

And, yes, I have my "asbestos skarpsuit" on and am prepared... actually, I think Skarp is mellowing in his old age...
fasterpitch92701

by ECSB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm

EZout - I agree you have to earn your place - but if I am paying $25,000 for my kid to try out, and she doesnt have a chance, it would be nice for the coach to indicate that. I am not talking about playing time, position, anything - just an indication of whether the kid would make the team. We were at a fall scrimmage today and everyone was saying the responses from D3's are all over the place - some are enthusiastic, some don't return emails, some not encouraging.
ECSB

by Joe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:26 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Education wise... the POINT of going to college...

Really?

fasterpitch92701 wrote:there are excellent D3's and some very good D1's, all expecting 2100 SAT's, 31 ACT's and a 4.2 GPA. Ok... got that covered. The D3's are, typically, expensive, running $50K/yr with a minor chance of some academic money. The D1's... there is academc and athletic... and the obligatory question is "does where you go to get your bachelors really matter if you are going to graduate school"... and looking forward to how to finance that. But in the big picture... the "college experience" and softball... if D3 allows you a better chance of field time, the chance to represent and play for your school, gets you the education and the college experience, and assuming it's not like marginal high school ball... then the downside appears minimal with lots of upside.

Why ask for "lucid" and "rational insights" when you've (apparently) already got that covered?

fasterpitch92701 wrote:attendence

Oops...I spoke too soon...
Joe

by Joe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm

3'sDad wrote:Most players don't make much of a living post-college from softball...

Say what?

...now we're talking lucid, insightful...and rationally.
Joe

Next

Return to College Recruiting