Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

D3 Play/Talent

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by fasterpitch92701 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Apologies to 2.6 and squirrel. Too fast on the keyboard, too slow on the brain.
fasterpitch92701

by fasterpitch92701 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm

ECSB, looking towards the east. DD has played, visited, seen, lived California and is interested in seeing something "different". Our 6 school east coast trip was in January, in a storm, with snow, ice, etc.. It didn't deter her a bit.

It was kind of funny that a lot of the people and players she met wanted to come to California and... here she was going the opposite way. DD knows she won't be playing for a PAC-10 school. She can get into a PAC-10 based on academics, may get on the team but would seldom see the field. Ok, fine. In the interim, lots of "easties" trying to get into the PAC-10. We wish them well.

We will seeeeeee...... there are some quality east coast D3's so it's a fine research project that will keep me busy.
fasterpitch92701

by Skarp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Apologies to 2.6 and squirrel. Too fast on the keyboard, too slow on the brain.

What, no apologies to me? That "asbestos skarpsuit" barb cut me to the quick.

Or maybe it was the "mellowing with age" one...
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Skarp... it's about managing expectations and perceptions. I think folks have figured out that you may be a softie in disguise, a semi-mushy marshmellow, well intended and genuine nice guy trying to do the right thing, an Oreo-and-warm-milk kinda dad, BUT.... in an effort of self preservation... you forge forward to obtain and attain the absolute level of Ordained Minister of The Scorched Earth Policy, all to prevent being recognized as anything but Mr. Rodgers Jr and his sweater behind the door. Shields up. Evaporate everything! Kaaaabooooom.... flash... sizzzzzzzle....

Or... then again... maybe not.

The problem is that you have a sense of humor. Real Scorched Earth advocates seldom do, placing the reading masses in a quandry. What ARE "we" to do? Hummmm.... And... we are all mellowing with age. Some of us, particularly myself, are just... over ripe, you excluded (of course).
fasterpitch92701

by Skarp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 pm

lmao. I don't know about the "semi-mushy marshmellow" hypothesis, but I think there may be something subtly emasculating about being a travelball dad. Too many years of it, and "once more into the breach!" morphs into a slack-jawed, thousand-yard stare.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Skarp wrote:lmao. I don't know about the "semi-mushy marshmellow" hypothesis, but I think there may be something subtly emasculating about being a travelball dad. Too many years of it, and "once more into the breach!" morphs into a slack-jawed, thousand-yard stare.

You just worked "once more into the breach" into a coherent post on a TB thread, and that, dear friend, slayed me. Bravo! The bodies are piling up, and Billy Shakes himself is surely chuckling.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 am

Skarp wrote:
Sam wrote:Being hyper-competitive with relatively little actual talent is unbecoming.

So is tenaciously arguing with no coherent point.

Ability is inherently relative. Between kids, and between college programs. The same "no-talent" kid might be a standout on one D3 team, and a bench-warmer on another. And it's perfectly reasonable (i.e., not "unbecoming") for her to have an opinion about which she prefers. You have ironically taken your "it's about the girls" schtick to such an extreme that it's apparently no longer about the girls at all.

Which was my point. I didn't say the kid had no talent. My point was that kids that are good enough to play D3 look silly when they act cocky about their relative competition. It was about the girl...about how she is perceived by the rest of us. How about being gracious when you are the team stud vs. being dissatisfied because everyone around you sucks. Is that coherent enough?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

fasterpitch92701 wrote:ECSB, looking towards the east. DD has played, visited, seen, lived California and is interested in seeing something "different". Our 6 school east coast trip was in January, in a storm, with snow, ice, etc.. It didn't deter her a bit.

It was kind of funny that a lot of the people and players she met wanted to come to California and... here she was going the opposite way. DD knows she won't be playing for a PAC-10 school. She can get into a PAC-10 based on academics, may get on the team but would seldom see the field. Ok, fine. In the interim, lots of "easties" trying to get into the PAC-10. We wish them well.

We will seeeeeee...... there are some quality east coast D3's so it's a fine research project that will keep me busy.

Based on your OP, it sounds like your kiddo is a pretty good player. Has she looked at some things other than D3? The reason I ask is there are a LOT of programs in between the Pac 10 and D3. Not trying to talk you out of anything mind you. Just wondering if you've looked at any small east coast D1's like Sacred Heart or Stony Brook.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by jonriv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 am

If the grades are there- Patriot league(d1) with excellent programs, but a much lees intense travel schedule than a PAC10 or even Big East Team---excellent academic schools
jonriv

by Skarp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 am

Sam wrote:How about being gracious when you are the team stud vs. being dissatisfied because everyone around you sucks. Is that coherent enough?

Actually, no...it isn't. If it's about the girl, then how about letting her decide what environment she wants to be in? And if she prefers a more competitive team over four years of being "gracious" on a team far below her ability level, who exactly are you pass judgment on that?

It is no more becoming for a D1 stud to be cocky about her skill than it is for a D3 stud to be. And it is just as appropriate for the D3 kid to seek out competition befitting her relative ability level as it is for the D1 player to do so. Your assertion to the contrary--that D3 players aren't good enough to legitimately concern themselves with such things--is belittling. Those kids might actually have the silly notion in their heads that all the years of sacrifice they endured to get as good as they are actually amount to something.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting