Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

D3 Play/Talent

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Skarp wrote:
Sam wrote:How about being gracious when you are the team stud vs. being dissatisfied because everyone around you sucks. Is that coherent enough?

Actually, no...it isn't. If it's about the girl, then how about letting her decide what environment she wants to be in? And if she prefers a more competitive team over four years of being "gracious" on a team far below her ability level, who exactly are you pass judgment on that?

It is no more becoming for a D1 stud to be cocky about her skill than it is for a D3 stud to be. And it is just as appropriate for the D3 kid to seek out competition befitting her relative ability level as it is for the D1 player to do so. Your assertion to the contrary--that D3 players aren't good enough to legitimately concern themselves with such things--is belittling. Those kids might actually have the silly notion in their heads that all the years of sacrifice they endured to get as good as they are actually amount to something.

We'll have to agree to disagree. D1 studs, especially pitchers, can be extremely cocky. They were recruited and are paid to play softball in many cases. Its not unbecoming for them, it is expected. In D3, the kid isn't really recruited to play softball and the teams are little more than intramural teams that get to travel a little bit to play softball. Their facilities aren't very good and their budgets are abysmal. A kid who is cocky (my definitition: picky about who they play with and who they don't) is wholly appropriate for the recruited D1 or even D2 player. A cocky D3 player is just wierd. If she was that good, so as to be a D3 stud, she would have been recruited to play at a higher level. My view isn't belittling, it is the truth....which is what is being kept from many of these young ladies during the recruiting and signing process. The truth is that any kid going to a D3 school can try out for the team and as I said before, this kid could go to a D1 school and walk on if she is above these other players.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:11 pm

In D3, the kid isn't really recruited to play softball and the teams are little more than intramural teams that get to travel a little bit to play softball. Their facilities aren't very good and their budgets are abysmal.

This is a ridiculous statement. D3 coaches openely recruit players and in some case the facilities are better than D1 schools. Perhaps you should actively visit some schools before making such an ignorant statement. Having visited over 20 schools in the past year(half of them Div I) with my DD- several of the Div III had facilities and better funding. Top notch Div III schools have some healthy endowments
jonriv

by Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 pm

jonriv wrote:
In D3, the kid isn't really recruited to play softball and the teams are little more than intramural teams that get to travel a little bit to play softball. Their facilities aren't very good and their budgets are abysmal.

This is a ridiculous statement. D3 coaches openely recruit players and in some case the facilities are better than D1 schools. Perhaps you should actively visit some schools before making such an ignorant statement. Having visited over 20 schools in the past year(half of them Div I) with my DD- several of the Div III had facilities and better funding. Top notch Div III schools have some healthy endowments

What are they recruiting kids with....mirrors? Is it your belief that DIII schools typically have more funding and better facilitities than DI schools or were the schools you are referencing outside the norm? Who are these unnamed DIII schools with these great endowments who recruit players with no athletic scholarship money? Enlighten us.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:39 pm

You recruit with the school and its academics Einstein( Ivy League has no scholarship money, several patriot have none) Most DI programs are not fully funded. recruiting is not just scholarship money- it can be the use of sports to gain entry into a school they might not otherwise get into

Tufts, Babson, St Lawrence posess much better facilities than som of the Div I programs in the area- ie (University of RI)

The schools of the NESAC(Bowdoin, Bates, Colby Tufts etc....) are Top Notch Academic Institutions that put big-time money into their Athletic Facilities. Believe or not, but Div III coaches attend showcases and tournaments too
jonriv

by Skarp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Sam wrote:What are they recruiting kids with....mirrors? Is it your belief that DIII schools typically have more funding and better facilitities than DI schools or were the schools you are referencing outside the norm? Who are these unnamed DIII schools with these great endowments who recruit players with no athletic scholarship money? Enlighten us.

My kid will almost certainly be attending a D3 school. And what they will be using to recruit her (cross fingers) is worth a hell of a lot more than a full ride to [insert name of D1 powerhouse], in my opinion.

Does that mean she shouldn't care about softball anymore? That she shouldn't value the years of investment she has made in the game, and seek an opportunity to continue to challenge herself at the sport if she so desires? That would make her cocky? Because she isn't a good enough player, according to your completely arbitrary standard?

You're right...we'll definitely have to agree to disagree on this one.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:54 pm

My kid will almost certainly be attending a D3 school. And what they will be using to recruit her (cross fingers) is worth a hell of a lot more than a full ride to [insert name of D1 powerhouse], in my opinion.

Great point- what a concept, getting a great education and getting a great career after graduation-while still getting to play the sport you love and have worked so hard at, at the next level. The best part of it is you will probably play all four years
jonriv

by BenAround » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:54 pm

jonriv wrote:You recruit with the school and its academics Einstein( Ivy League has no scholarship money, several patriot have none) Most DI programs are not fully funded. recruiting is not just scholarship money- it can be the use of sports to gain entry into a school they might not otherwise get into

BINGO

If the Ivy's want you bad enough they have need based grants. And if they REALLY -NEED- you enough they get you a big FAT grant. sucka's
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by ECSB » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Faster - if you want some opinions on specific schools, you can p.m. me or probably JonRiv - if I have seen the school play I will give you an opinion - I'll bet he (or she) will too.

Sam - you can think whatever. There are three levels of schools so your kid can find the right level of play. There are All-Americans and world series winners at all levels.

I'll tell the D-3 coaches that are emailing my DD that they are not recruiting. I guess that is why they don't have recruiting rules at the D3 level (oh yeah....they do).
ECSB

by Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:46 pm

jonriv wrote:You recruit with the school and its academics Einstein( Ivy League has no scholarship money, several patriot have none) Most DI programs are not fully funded. recruiting is not just scholarship money- it can be the use of sports to gain entry into a school they might not otherwise get into

Tufts, Babson, St Lawrence posess much better facilities than som of the Div I programs in the area- ie (University of RI)

The schools of the NESAC(Bowdoin, Bates, Colby Tufts etc....) are Top Notch Academic Institutions that put big-time money into their Athletic Facilities. Believe or not, but Div III coaches attend showcases and tournaments too

Ivy League is D1. I know schools have funds and some don't. I also know that D3 is D3 for a reason and the overall level of play is what it is...you can pull out whatever singular examples you wish.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm

ECSB wrote:Faster - if you want some opinions on specific schools, you can p.m. me or probably JonRiv - if I have seen the school play I will give you an opinion - I'll bet he (or she) will too.

Sam - you can think whatever. There are three levels of schools so your kid can find the right level of play. There are All-Americans and world series winners at all levels.

I'll tell the D-3 coaches that are emailing my DD that they are not recruiting. I guess that is why they don't have recruiting rules at the D3 level (oh yeah....they do).

I'm not downgrading D3....on the contrary, I was supporting playing at D3 level without the attitude that it isn't good enough for some kids who weren't recruited to play at the D1 level. The fact is that the overall level of play at D1 is greater than it is at D3. Sorry, but that is a fact.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting