anonlooker wrote:Who cares what she wants? :lol:

Good point.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

She could go to a local D1 and walk on. They always need fillers.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm

How does a competitive person with confidence in their ability in a particular endeavor typically respond to beating a clearly less talented opponent? Do you get pleasure from beating a 6 year old at chess? Would you like to see how you do against players with the same or greater amount of ability? Ever curious about where you really stand WRT an activity that you take pride in? Preposterous notions. How would you like spending 20 hours per week to play 50 games against less talented players? For 4 years. Whoo Hooo. No mere mortal could possibly stand 4 years of feeling that level of satisfaction. Nothing beats looking UP at Al Bundy.

Nah, competitive kids who have invested a significant amount of their time over the preceding 10 years couldn't care less about the level of the college game they will play. Why would they?

Squirrel of Confusion
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:How does a competitive person with confidence in their ability in a particular endeavor typically respond to beating a clearly less talented opponent? Do you get pleasure from beating a 6 year old at chess? Would you like to see how you do against players with the same or greater amount of ability? Ever curious about where you really stand WRT an activity that you take pride in? Preposterous notions. How would you like spending 20 hours per week to play 50 games against less talented players? For 4 years. Whoo Hooo. No mere mortal could possibly stand 4 years of feeling that level of satisfaction. Nothing beats looking UP at Al Bundy.

Nah, competitive kids who have invested a significant amount of their time over the preceding 10 years couldn't care less about the level of the college game they will play. Why would they?

Squirrel of Confusion

I'll have to concur. Yes we all feel good and grounded in our solid priorities when we say it doesn't matter, it's about the education. Because quite simply, it really IS about the education. Sounds great.

Then real life rears it's ugly head.

A player that just might be good enough to be on the UCLA roster (in this case the OP's dd) might be utterly miserable playing D3 ball. Forget the competition, she might want to throttle her teamates within a few weeks.

I don't think it's a coinky dink that high level players with Ivy League transcripts/sat scores instead go to the Northwesterns and Stanfords. A lot of players care and it would be foolish to pretend it's a complete non issue.

It is at least an issue worthy of consideration and the OP is smart not to bury his/her head in the sand and at least look into it.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by 3'sDad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm

2.6: Your point regarding Ivy league transcripts/SAT scores and high level sofball play giving schools like Northwestern & Stanford a recruiting edge is on target. An Ivy school really ramping up their program is Cornell. The team in Ithica is working hard to attract top tier student/athletes. This team will be very competitve anlong with every athlete receiving an outstanding eduation.
3'sDad

by fasterpitch92701 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Squirrel... 2.6.... never said my daughter was a UCLA quality player that wanted to kick lesser players... Never said it. What I DID say was....

"she didn't expect to play for a kick-the-crap-out-of-UCLA team but wanted to play for a team that wants to be on the field, wants to work hard at it and wants to be successful".

Note the expressed exclusion of the term "D1" or "D3". Hummmmm..... Unless there is a new interpretation of the English language... I don't see how you get from A to B. Wanting to play for a school/team with players that want to be competitive means... just that. I think you may have an unfounded logical leap. The fact is my daughter knows she would ride the pine at UCLA, Arizona, Washington, etc.. For many kids that's great and they will enjoy their experience. My daughter would rather be on the field, even if it isn't at UCLA or Michigan. While my kid won't be on ESPN she wants to be on a competitive team for their venue, be it D1, D3 or whatever.

Did your DD's want to play for a competitive team or did they say "high school is my max?". Did rec ball take them beyond their limits? And... if you don't want to be competitive, have you found a league that doesn't keep score? Or is "participation" enough? And that rec ball league... what is wrong with trying to be the best in the rec ball league? Nothing. Of course, WHY would a travel ball player play on a high school team? Does your daughter just want to kick around lesser players? That's rather crass. I am sure your DD didn't play HS ball... or... did she....

I believe your DD's went well beyond rec ball, HS, and a hearty congratulations to them. But wanting to be on the field with those sharing the passion for the game, working at it and wanting to excel is, I guess, an unfortunate burden my daughter will have to bear, even at D3. Woe is her...
fasterpitch92701

by Gone in 2.6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Your request for lucid rational responses has taken on a hilarious dimension. :lol:

To say you misunderstood my (and Blind Squirrel's imo) sentiments is, to say the least, an understatement.

Our comments were not directed at you but in response to the dismissal of the level of play as a non factor. We were in essence saying you were absolutely doing the right thing asking the questions you are asking.
Last edited by Gone in 2.6 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Sam » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I would say that a kid that wasn't recruited at D1, D2, or NAIA level ball really shouldn't be terribley competitive on the ballfield. Being hyper-competitive with relatively little actual talent is unbecoming.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ECSB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Faster - my DD feels the same way. While she is looking at D3's she is trying to look at competitive D3's. Look at the record, see how far the team goes in regionals and you can figure out which teams are good. Check the NCAA D3 site for lists of schools that have made it to regionals and finals recently. Talk to the coaches - the ones with a good softball background who played themselves are usually the best - the ones that use the soccer or football coach as the softball coach - not so much.

What is wrong with wanting a decent education and a good softball team? There are lots of D1 quality players out there playing D3 for the education and the lower pressure.

Are you looking at east coast or west coast schools?
ECSB

by Skarp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Sam wrote:Being hyper-competitive with relatively little actual talent is unbecoming.

So is tenaciously arguing with no coherent point.

Ability is inherently relative. Between kids, and between college programs. The same "no-talent" kid might be a standout on one D3 team, and a bench-warmer on another. And it's perfectly reasonable (i.e., not "unbecoming") for her to have an opinion about which she prefers. You have ironically taken your "it's about the girls" schtick to such an extreme that it's apparently no longer about the girls at all.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting