Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

The Power of College Clinics/Camps

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 am

One of the fun aspects of college recruiting is the college clinic/camp. I am not talking about the big "commercial" college clinics with multiple coaches and softball "celebrities", but those held by the teams themselves.

These team clinics are a great way to :

1) visit the campus
2) meet the players(and ask questions)
3) meet the coach
4)let hem see your DD play
5) learn some new things
6) "size-up" her peers

The costs can add up, but it is generally money well spent

To find these clinics- go to the team websites. It is also important to have your DD sign-up on the "recruit" profiles most schools have. This gets you on the coach's radar and will get you an invite. Some schools do not post their clinics, but send them out to the database of players from the profiles

Would love to hear other's experiences
jonriv

by fasterpitch92701 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 am

jonriv,

Mixed bag is probably the best I can say. From some of the camps DD attended... (rated 1-10, 10 being best on my highly subjective softball-o-meter)

UCSB - money generator, adequately run, not impressive. Rating: 6

Harvard - money generator, too many players, can't believe anyone was actually eval'ed. Rating: 3. Maybe less.

Williams - excellent camp, well run, good coaching, overall a great experience. Rating: 10

Oregon - good but not great camp, well run. Give it a 6

Stanford - marginal at best, they mix 10Us and 18U, teach which hand to put glove on in the "experienced/advanced" camp. Rating: 3, barely.

CAL - good camp that the players liked (but DD didn't like the school...) Rating:7+

Bucknell - a very good camp, well run, active, existing players not that engaged in activities but the coach is. 8+, maybe a 9

Santa Clara - marginal at best, looked like the first day at BobbySox 10U. Rating: 2

IMHO there appears to be a fairly defined split between the revenue generators and the true eval camps. Most are NOT eval camps. And there some that are simply fishing to see whether candidates are willing to show up, expressing an interest in the school. . If North Carolina (for instance) holds a one day camp from 9-3PM, with check-in at 9, actual activity starting at 10, lunch from 12-1, done at 2:45... etc., no one is going to go but locals with time on their hands. Williams had folks from all over the country, kept the camp limited to 20 girls, was highly structured, worked the girls, did drills, played games... at the end of two days you knew you had been in a "real camp". I have heard the Tufts is similar. My guess is that most of the open flyer, broadcast camps are nothing more than revenue generators. Asking on this board about past experiences with camps could really narrow down the field to something of substance, particularlyt if there is significant travel.

Juuuuuuust my humble opinion....

Eenjoy !
fasterpitch92701

by jonriv » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 am

Had heard about the Williams camp being very good(for you die-hards it is a Div III school!) My DD LOVED the Bucknell camp-really worked her outfield. Went to two Tufts clinics- both were excellent.

Both patriot league- Lafayette and Lehigh were very good. Lehigh coach spends a lot of time with players- not too big of a group.

IMO the smaller the clinic the better

Anyone from the south?
jonriv

by DirtyRaceGirl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm

MY DD has been to several clinics in the South, some combined with unofficial visits, others we chose to go to because there were multiple coaches from different schools at a single camp.

Not sure how she'd rate them, but as she got older, she liked the camps less and less, even at the schools she had interest in. I agree they are an important part of the recruiting process, but when mine finally verballed she said "I am SO glad I don't have to go to any camps at any other schools!" Sometimes the girls just feel they are "on display." The worst are the camps with girls from 8-18. Once they hit 9th grade, the high school only camps are the only way to go.

Here is what I'd say on the ratings, just based on my daughters feedback:

University of South Florida - Moneymaker - you did get "bang for your buck" because usually 5 or 6 other D1 coaches were present for exposure, but groups were huge - 4

University of Central Florida (Thanksgiving camp) - Limited to 80 girls, ran alot of scrimmages, but you could definitely see that the girls they were interested in got the bulk of the scrimmage playing time - 8

LSU Winter Camp - Was a 1 day session not worth it. About 4 hours of instruction.

Texas Tech - Elite Camp. Good instruction, lots of field time, good unofficial with other girls from all over the country. Again, the girls they really wanted to see got the scrimmage time.

Mississippi State - Moneymaker. Too many girls, next to no evaluation. - 2

Although I can't personally comment on the Florida State camp, I have heard from many players and parents that the camps they run are top notch and the girls get very good feedback from them. Also have multiple college coaches at a single camp.
"Sometimes the only thing fair in life is a ball hit between first and third."
DirtyRaceGirl

by jonriv » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am

Any from the Midwest or Northwest----

Here from the one's my DD attended:

1) Tufts- 10 She attended two of them there. Smaller group of girls and intense work(including video) with multitudes of hitting stations. Used to teach and evaluate. Taught by players and coaches. Tour of campus led by players.

2) University of Rhode Island- 5 Small- but somewhat disorganized. Did not see much of coach

3) Lafayette- 8 Large group of girls but very well run. Players were seperated by major TB programs and Rec programs. Most girls wore their travel uniforms. Lots of drills and stations. Lot of situation play(also attended 2 here)

4) Lehigh- 8 Smaller group of girls- Used to teach and evaluate. led by coaches. Coach Troyan is a class act

5) Bucknell- 8 Small group girls- lots if instruction and individual coaching- definitely used to evaluate. Lots of chances to talk to players

6) University of Delaware- 6 very large-used as a money maker
jonriv

by whatever » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Recently attended a Div. I hitting camp. There were @ 8 hitting stations - 60 girls, other activities on the side. Naturally, coaches couldn't be at every station. The girls on this team ran the stations. I noticed some were jotting notes down - a few times after DD was in multiple stations which I thought was a good thing. Well turns out they told DD they were taking notes on good players AND players who didn't try in the cages or didn't put effort into the drills - whether successful or not. There were a number of drills that were very different and were difficult to master. Anyway, they took note of the girls who didn't try and had careless attitudes. I thought that was brilliant on the coach's part.
whatever

by fasterpitch92701 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Whatever..... great message !!
fasterpitch92701

by ECSB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:58 pm

DD went to these camps:

1. Fairfield - Liked it, Coach gave great recruiting advice during parents section. Coaches at stations took notes.

2. Springfield College - lots of kids, rec. level, but coach took note of kids that could field and hit. Worth it to see the school and work with the coach.

3. Rhode Island College - lots of kids, rec. level, coach took note of kids that could hit. Coach stayed and talked to DD after camp. Worth it to see the school and work with the coach. Good drills. Coach is impressive.

DD also went to camps at Hartford and Sienna - both coaches at those schools have moved on, so experience would not translate.

Like anything, let the coach know you are coming and are interested. The coaches do take note of the kids that write them upfront.
ECSB

by CheckWriter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Like anything, let the coach know you are coming and are interested. The coaches do take note of the kids that write them upfront.

Key, key, key!!! Did I say Key?

If you contact the coach ahead of time, especially if you have been emailing before, they will make sure they good look.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 90066DAD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 am

jonriv wrote:
These team clinics are a great way to :

1) visit the campus
2) meet the players(and ask questions)
3) meet the coach
4)let hem see your DD play
5) learn some new things
6) "size-up" her peers

The costs can add up, but it is generally money well spent

The costs add up very quickly, especially if you're flying across the country to attend several camps a year.

Plan accordingly:

1) book your flights early for the lowest fares (alt: mooch some airline miles off your buddy whose job involves extensive travel),

2) point out to DW that these quick turnaround trips are absolutely miserable, but you're willing to do it for DD's sake (reality: the father-daughter bonding moments are nearing the end, take advantage of every opportunity),

3) if these trips weren't adequately budgeted for, try to convince DW that family vacations are overrated (warning: you really need to pick the right moment for this one).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
90066DAD

Next

Return to College Recruiting