Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Grades

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:52 pm

jonriv wrote:
In fact, what I saw was the number of schools that were scared away by sub-3.0 were significantly out numbered by those that were quite enthusiastic/aggressive in their recruiting.

If an eduction is the real goal- I think I might be scared away by those schools!!!

As Groucho Marx said, " I would not join a club that would have me as a member"

Certainly some have different standards than others. If the PAC10 and BIG10 schools are good enough for you academically, then fear shouldn't enter into it. For me, most of the schools in those conferences were acceptable. In fact, I can't think of one that is so bad academically that I wouldn't have allowed my kid to go there. I guess I'm not as discerning as some. Not surprising.

Underachieving Slacker Squirrel
(or maybe just not smart enough)
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 90066DAD » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
I suspect that a lot of folks won't like this but there are more than a few reputable D1 colleges that will take kids with a sub-3.0 GPA and matching level of SAT scores. In fact, what I saw was the number of schools that were scared away by sub-3.0 were significantly out numbered by those that were quite enthusiastic/aggressive in their recruiting.

I'm not arguing that grades/scores don't matter. And there are certainly some fantastic schools that won't take kids without stellar grades/scores. I just think the recruiting picture being painted in here should be as complete and accurate as possible.

Socrates Squirrel

The original post and the immediately subsequent posts in this thread were addressing academically selective colleges with smaller enrollment and less flexibility in admitting student-athletes who do not fit their profiles in terms of GPA and test scores. References were made to specific conferences and specific schools.

What you stated with regard to sub-3.0 kids being admitted to “reputable D1 colleges” is absolutely true, within any objective definition of the word “reputable”. But those tend to be larger public universities with highly competitive Div-I programs. A completely different recruiting scene and certainly a different academic experience.

The "recruiting picture being painted" included only the proverbial apples, whereas you wanted oranges included as well. Nothing wrong with either view, but the original artist (and contributors) wanted to paint a picture of apples and made his (their) intent abundantly clear.

As far as I'm concerned, their picture is complete and accurate for what it was intended to portray.
90066DAD

by jonriv » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

The. Intent of the post was to point out that grades open up more choices period- while poorer grades limit choices

Just wanted to point out it is sometimes overlooked and should not be
jonriv

by Joe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 pm

jonriv wrote:Grades are the "secret weapon" in recruiting.

So what's the news here Einstein. Good grades will get you into good schools with or without softball...

...and let me tell you a little secret...there's millions more available in scholarships and grants to the student who hits the books instead of the yellow ball. Just ask the Chinese guy who runs the chess club...
Joe

by anonlooker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Joe wrote:

So what's the news here Einstein. Good grades will get you into good schools with or without softball...

...and let me tell you a little secret...there's millions more available in scholarships and grants to the student who hits the books instead of the yellow ball. Just ask the Chinese guy who runs the chess club...

Joe, why do you assume "the Chinese guy" runs the chess club?
Last edited by anonlooker on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by 90066DAD » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm Chinese but I don't know how to play chess.

Hey Joe, is that possible?
90066DAD

by Joe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

anonlooker wrote:
Joe wrote:

Joe, why do assume the Chinese guy runs the chess club?

Tongue in cheek my friend...

While some of us enjoy kid's games, new $300 bats, yelling at umpires, jawing on HB, chasing a few $$$ to help with college, there are some who are preparing their kids for...kicking ass and taking names. The graduation rates in our big cities are beyond absurd, teachers aren't teaching, parents are clueless, and jobs are moving to where the brains are...out of this country.

Go to any medical or engineering school, take a look around...You won't see many students with the name "Smith" and you will see quite a few "Nyugens" or "Patels". Need I say more?

Tell DD to enjoy the game, but don't forget the "real" scoreboard...
Joe

by Joe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

90066DAD wrote:I'm Chinese but I don't know how to play chess.

Hey Joe, is that possible?

You're probably third generation and listen to too much Lil Wayne...
Joe

by anonlooker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Gee Joe. My kid wants to go to Law School, but her name isn't Goldbergheimstern, Lipschitzstein, or Wasserbaumzweigman.

Do you think it's safe? Or should she go to Texas and major in racist ideology?
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Joe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm

anonlooker wrote:Or should she go to Texas and major in racist ideology?

Sure, she's welcome to come to Texas and major in racist ideology. That school's located in los barrios of South San Antonio. Some of my big brown friends would love to give you and your gerbils a tour before you send her out...
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting