Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Grades

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by 90066DAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 am

Joe wrote:
90066DAD wrote:I'm Chinese but I don't know how to play chess.

Hey Joe, is that possible?

You're probably third generation and listen to too much Lil Wayne...

Thank you for the "tongue in cheek" explanation.

Third generation? Not exactly. My children would be considered first generation.

I'm an immigrant, but I know why Mr. Yawkey built the Green Monster.

Who is Lil Wayne? Seriously .... I listen mostly to the Beatles, the Stones, and Zeppelin. Stopped listening to anything new about the time Elvis Costello was getting started. My favorite singers are Frank Sinatra and Roy Orbison.

I suck at math, even though my father was en electrical engineering professor.

I'm very grateful to be living in this country, but I just don't understand why Americans expect their government to provide so much for them instead of earning it themselves.

I would rather hear you express an opinion that I disagree with, than to hear you have no opinion at all. Even if I disagree with you, I'll still offer you a cold one from my cooler.

I've had a wonderful journey thus far with my softball playing DD.

I wish I knew how to play chess.
90066DAD

by jonriv » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 am

How many cold ones do you have? I have a lot of opinions! :D
jonriv

by Joe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 am

90066DAD wrote:I suck at math, even though my father was en electrical engineering professor...

...well then, you'll fit in beautifully.

Don't forget to teach the language from the old country to your DD. It will come in handy during her lifetime...
Joe

by 90066DAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 am

jonriv wrote:How many cold ones do you have? I have a lot of opinions! :D

Prior to the time when you joined this board, my "red cooler" was well chronicled here and on e-teamz. Those were some good times back in 10u-12u. :lol: :lol:
90066DAD

by 90066DAD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 am

Joe wrote:
90066DAD wrote:I suck at math, even though my father was en electrical engineering professor...

...well then, you'll fit in beautifully.

Don't forget to teach the language from the old country to your DD. It will come in handy during her lifetime...

Haven't had much luck in that department.

Here's some good stuff re immigrant parents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9O3hMDRbw
90066DAD

by fasterpitch92701 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am

Geeeezzzz.... it's HARD to sit by the sidelines...

#1. The Chinese guy plays GO, not chess. The game is 4000 years old with many of the best players being ex-chess grand masters. Many believe that GO is far mor difficult than chess. And, yes, he's the club president.

#2. Red coolers are good but the real tell-tale are the red plastic cups as no one really... knows what's in them...

#3. The originial premise of this thread... gawd, what was it... oh yea, grades. Net/net is that they count. The specific conference noted, NESCAC, really focuses on it. Note: there are folks with 2350-2400 (!) SAT's that did NOT get into the school that my DD will be attending. Grades count but it's not everything. It's fit. I believe my DD's SAT's and ACT's got her to the point of being in the final pool but softball is what pushed her into the "accepted ED" category. But without the grades, if she were "thunder stud"... wouldn't make a difference.

#4. What is it with TX and CA? They are the two primary states that receive pot shots. Hummm... I suppose it might be "earned". Do they still make Pearl? Or Jax? Gawd, need some of the sloooow cooked barbeque...

#5. Watched a few college games from the stands this weekend. It's early in the season and you can tell. Too many errors...

#6. The Russian is the one who heads the chess club with pastries from the girl from Belgium and hot chocolate from the Austrian, sushi from the japanese guy... and the Molson from the guy, eh, from Canada, eh...
fasterpitch92701

by jonriv » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Actually the Belgium is supplying the ironically named French Fries -Pommes Frites- and some Stellas
jonriv

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 pm

This thread made me laugh out loud! It spans the spectrum from Ivy League feeder schools to red cups and coolers and no one called anyone out or posted a friendly score. I guess it really does come down to grades and in that discussion there seems to be little disagreement. Thanks to all for sharing. :D
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherdad » Thu May 19, 2011 5:57 pm

NOTE: The academic school route for softball requires a lot of patience. The player needs to prep for those tests, take them, along with a heavy AP schedule. Coaches want high scores and junior grades. Sometimes they are hung up on rank and school rigor. Most of that gold team is signed and the academically oriented kids are pushing into the summer before senior year without alot of certainty. Select coaches dont understand when you turn down interest in decent D1 schools. I know its worth it as it is so hard to get into these schools. It will also be great to apply to one early decision. But you must really have patience.
catcherdad

by jonriv » Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 am

We went the Early Decision route- the 2.5 week waiting time seemed like years- even with the coach's blessing. Grades + Softball are potent combo and upon doors that most people do not realize. Unfortunately-too many focus on only the softball and really limit their DD's potential- softball is a means to and end- not the other way around
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting