Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

The Time College Softball Takes

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:43 am

Got a chance to really talk to my DD during Thanksgiving break and got a better idea of the commitment to play at the college level.

DD plays at a Div III school near Boston with an extremely challenging and competitive business curriculum.

Full practices where held in September -highlighted by a double-header of two fall games. Practice were generally 2 hours long. Following the end of "official" practices- a rigorous work-out schedule started. Weights 3 times per weak, agility 2 times, and batting 2 times. Players are also encouraged to workout on their own(running) Workouts are designed and supervised by a school trainer

Her scholastic load is generally 6+ hours per day of homework, papers etc.... She also needs to attend "meetings" with members of her classes about the projects they are tasked. About 1-2 per day

Of her friends from home- she was the only one with Thanksgiving Homework and appeared to have the toughest workload(except for her friend at Stanford)

She has certainly had to utilize her time management skills!!!!

Would love to hear the commitment stories from people with DDs at all Levels(Div I, II, & III)
jonriv

by V'sDad » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Typical for my daughter (D-2): weights & conditioning early morning, classes from 9 to 12, quick lunch, practice from 2 to 5, 1 evening class, then home for food & study. This is Mon to Fri. Usually a Sat practice then Sunday off. Somehow she has maintained a solid GPA.

For many athletes who compete for 4 years, they may need an extra semester (or two) to complete their degree. There are "Degree Completion Scholarships" available in limited numbers.

Once the season begins, games are usually Fri and Sat doubleheaders, tournaments are Fri- Sun. Travel is as short as 50 miles and as far as 500 miles. Occasionally a midweek doubleheader.
Fall schedule is a little easier.

Her school has a strong softball program.
V'sDad

by V'sDad » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Forgot to add, Architecture is not a major that meshes well with softball. It can be done, but very tough.
V'sDad

by DonnieS » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 am

Battle wrote:Are there certain fields that students can't major in if they play softball? What are some of them.

Talking D1 - - any class that has labs are tough to do with softball - my kid (DD1) wanted to major in Nutrition , but it wasnt possible because of the meetings and of course required labs. She switched 2 more times trying to find something that was possible. I really think that this question is the most important question you and your kid need to ask the college coach, and then back any answer you get by privately asking kids that are currently playing in that program. The tough thing is the 'stars in your eyes' syndrome - and then not trying to justify - oh well, I reallly didnt want to be an engineer (not my DD1 - but someone i know left engineering because of softball - I am not kidding).

And the hours that were discussed above is what i understand dd1 experienced - and they also required study hall time 2 hours per evening - I thought that was great. That was one of the things I liked very much about d1 athletics.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm

DonnieS wrote:The tough thing is the 'stars in your eyes' syndrome - and then not trying to justify - oh well, I reallly didnt want to be an engineer (not my DD1 - but someone i know left engineering because of softball - I am not kidding).

Donnie, I'm afraid my kid is trying to fall into this. She started out wanting to major in one thing but I talked to someone that finished school in this major about this and they said she could probably play for the 1st two years but after that, it would be impossible to play ball. When I relayed that message to her, it was a few days later that she decided she wanted to do something else. I explained to her not to sacrifice her education for softball but it didn't make a difference to her. I really don't know what to do about this. She is only a sophmore so we have a few more years to talk about it.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by DonnieS » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Battle wrote:
DonnieS wrote: I really don't know what to do about this. She is only a sophmore so we have a few more years to talk about it.

I dont know how to handle it either. Here is some real life though that comes in to teach lessons - we have been through an awful couple of years and DD2 was talking about what to major in , 'you know, being poor really sucks - I wanted to save polar bears - but maybe I will change to an engineering oriented major so I can make money ' . And I dont recommend becoming poor overnight to help your daughter make up her mind. :shock: She is right, it really sucked.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3'sDad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

A female degreed engineer (even better if she is a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in her state) is a fully employed individual for life. If she wants to save polar bears, she can major in environmental engineering. Not every env'l engineer designs wastewater treatment plants - some study the effects of green house gases - whci certainly have a correlation to polar bears.

I always tell the DD - make sure you're either good at math or good at writing; being proficient in either of these will make earning a living much easier; if you're good at both, the working world could be your oyster.
3'sDad

by DonnieS » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm

3'sDad wrote:A female degreed engineer (even better if she is a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in her state) is a fully employed individual for life. If she wants to save polar bears, she can major in environmental engineering. Not every env'l engineer designs wastewater treatment plants - some study the effects of green house gases - whci certainly have a correlation to polar bears.

I always tell the DD - make sure you're either good at math or good at writing; being proficient in either of these will make earning a living much easier; if you're good at both, the working world could be your oyster.

My brother's baby girl just completed that step - her route through college was volleyball - and I am hoping that DD2 will pay attention to the excellent example that she set.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3'sDad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm

One of my classmates at Rutgers (environmental planning, design & landscape architecture) played football. Given the amount of time our design studios took, I have no idea how he did it as we'd be up for 2-3 days at a time completing out work. I would finish, turn i tin and have to go to work (stinks having to work your way through school).

My friend graduated with me, on time. He's a Real estate Development VP with Lowes now (we have very similar jobs, having little to do with our granted degrees). We'll see one another 3-4 times a year at professional continuing eduacation seminars and swap lies about the old days.
3'sDad

Previous

Return to College Recruiting