Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

How was your DD Discovered???

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm

For those with DDs who are playing or played in College, how did they connect with the coach? Tournament, showcase, clinic etc....

Great information for those in the recruiting process
jonriv

by southernman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 am

LOL....Good Old Fahioned HARD WORK..... Wrote 100's of Letter's, Sent Countless e-mails, Made a Multitude of Phone Calls......IMO There really are no short cuts..............All of the HARD WORK was Perfect Training for DI Ball which is even More Hard Work........6 days per week Training, Conditioning, Practicing and Playing......On the 7th day (the day of rest) my DD gets additional study time.......Annnnnd...................She is having the time of her life!!!.........Accomplishing more than she ever dreamed possible........
southernman

by jonriv » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 am

LOL....Good Old Fahioned HARD WORK..... Wrote 100's of Letter's, Sent Countless e-mails, Made a Multitude of Phone Calls......IMO There really are no short cuts..............All of the HARD WORK was Perfect Training for DI Ball which is even More Hard Work........6 days per week Training, Conditioning, Practicing and Playing......On the 7th day (the day of rest) my DD gets additional study time.......Annnnnd...................She is having the time of her life!!!.........Accomplishing more than she ever dreamed possible........

you summed it up in a nutshell- I guess the point I was trying to make(through lots of responses) was that there are no shortcuts
jonriv

by Imperial SB Dad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am

Playing at a California Community College. ;)
Imperial SB Dad

by Chin Music » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 am

She put the ball in play off Ray-Ray.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by lvtwft » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Chin Music wrote:She put the ball in play off Ray-Ray.

I heard that was only a myth....Like Big Foot or Martians or a politician that is in it for the people.. :mrgreen:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm

southernman wrote:LOL....Good Old Fahioned HARD WORK..... Wrote 100's of Letter's, Sent Countless e-mails, Made a Multitude of Phone Calls......IMO There really are no short cuts..............All of the HARD WORK was Perfect Training for DI Ball which is even More Hard Work........6 days per week Training, Conditioning, Practicing and Playing......On the 7th day (the day of rest) my DD gets additional study time.......Annnnnd...................She is having the time of her life!!!.........Accomplishing more than she ever dreamed possible........

Yes, this seems to be the consensus answer, thanks. One question...at what DD age should I start?

Oh...and congrats!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

It actually does happen:
(In the interest of full disclosure, my kid was 5'10", relatively strong and WAS relatively fast. She stood out physically.)

My kid played on a 18G team that didn't qualify for Nationals. At an exposure tournament, not at the main fields, a coach was wandering around looking at different games. She walks up to my kid's game and our Manager approaches her with the team's program and engages her: The Manager asks the coach if she's here to see XXXX (my kid) and the coach says "No, but tell me about her." Not long afterwards word got back of the coaches interest and my kid ended up verballing. We are obviously indebted to that Manager among others.

Same kind of setting, on the same team but the coach walked up to watch a team from her home state that we were playing. Sadly, we killed that team but the coach became interested in my kid. I didn't enjoy the game much because it was the big college where I'm from, I knew the coach was there, I wanted my kid to go there ...
and that was the game my kid decided to try hitting left instead of right. The parents asked me what she was doing. Of course I had no idea.

And she asks why I have gray hairs Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by southernman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 pm

My daughter started as a Freshman in H.S.... Many of her counterparts who relied on being discovered without doing the work because they were Great Players playing on Great Teams at Great Showcases are now playing at the J.C. level (not neccesarily a bad thing in itself) still waiting to be discovered or not playing at all.

P.S. Even though IMO it is best to start early, it is NOT too late for a H.S. Junior or even a Senior to go to work... Your opportunity may not be at that "Big Name" School, but there are opportunities out there, even late in the game.......but in all likelihood will not just fall in your lap without doing the work...
southernman

by toolsballsoft » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Just so the folks reading these know, I think the list is going to go to eleven, in classic Spinal Tap style. And, my apologies to those who have been asking for it, but I don’t have Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. What I have here is softball hitting videos in which we can learn from.
toolsballsoft

Next

Return to College Recruiting