Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Camps/Clinics

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 am

Saw a post on the Norcal section and it got me thinking...........

Camps- just what are they? Are they worth it? Well, as usual, it depends....

Camps are utilized by coaches for possibly several different reasons:
-as a recruiting tool
-as a way to supplement their income
-as a way to supplement the teams "spring training" budget

Camps come in various sizes and types:

Type A: Features several local well known coaches and or former Olympic players- lots of advertising. Can sometimes have well over 100 girls participating. Usually seems to have some "fancy" brand name.

Type B: University or college hosts a several day to weeklong "camp" on University grounds. Sometimes other coaches from local schools are there as well. Tend to be very pricy

Type C: One or two day "camp" on college grounds with coaching staff running the event. Attendance can range anywhere from ten to over 50. Costs can range from around $40 to well over $200

Type D: Several clinics held on campus (ie pitchers & catchers, fielding, hitting etc...) Ability to sign for one part or several.

Which is the best?

[quote]I would pay for a camp under $100 anything over that forget about it and a word to the wise if there's more than 40 kids forget about your kid being seen. Stick to the smaller camps that you may actually have a chance at./quote]

This quote from LA Blue is a great guideline. My DD attended eight different camps/clinics. All of them were actually pretty good. The camps/clinics at Bucknell and Tufts were outstanding and she actually was able to improver her skills. The outfield clinic at bucknell had 5 attendees(# coaches and 6 players to supervise them. Most of the clinics the coaching staff made a real effort to spend some one on one with each player. All of them the coaching staff rotated around some of the stations.

Do your homework!!! They can give you a great chance to see the coaching style of a coach. They give you a great chance to meet and talk to players. At the Tufts camp- the players lead the tour of the campus,- but beaware- for all the good ones, there are also money-making "factory" clinics that will be a waste of time and money.
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22340

I thought I had written something before :D
jonriv

Return to College Recruiting