Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Beware the "Overrecruiters"

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 am

Not sure if this is an issue at the Div I level, but have seen it at the Div II & III level. Coach recruits more players than they have slots. Holds fall "tryouts" and cuts extra players. Players who went to the school to play softball now find themselves with the choice of staying at school and not playing or trying to find a school to transfer to.

I know of five players this happened to, three at one school. Some schools)like Springfield College) are very open about tryouts and the risk, but in most cases the situation was not communicated to the recruit.

has anyone else known of this happening?
jonriv

by as the world turns » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 pm

I guess that is why some say D3 softball is an extension of high school ball.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by NumeroUno » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm

you should post the schools that you know have done this so others don't fall into the same problem.

just like Arizona cutting kids in the fall :evil:
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jonriv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

as the world turns wrote:I guess that is why some say D3 softball is an extension of high school ball.

World- once again you display your ignorance and some kind of self prescribed Softball Snobbery, but I guess I should not be surprised.

The occurrences I spoke of were at Div II schools.

I know that it occurs in other sports(football) where several SEC schools have ben accused of "overrecruiting"

What I was trying to let those in the middle of the recruiting process know is that they should be asking some questions. Especially in any scenario where there is not athletic money(ie Ivy league, some Patriot league schools) As it has been suggested by many others- a review of a teams roster year to year(to see turnover) is also a good idea
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 pm

NumeroUno wrote:you should post the schools that you know have done this so others don't fall into the same problem.

just like Arizona cutting kids in the fall :evil:

St Anselm in New Hampshire
jonriv

by as the world turns » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 pm

jonriv wrote:
as the world turns wrote:I guess that is why some say D3 softball is an extension of high school ball.

World- once again you display your ignorance and some kind of self prescribed Softball Snobbery, but I guess I should not be surprised.

I know that it occurs in other sports(football) where several SEC schools have ben accused of "overrecruiting"

What I was trying to let those in the middle of the recruiting process know is that they should be asking some questions. Especially in any scenario where there is not athletic money(ie Ivy league, some Patriot league schools) As it has been suggested by many others- a review of a teams roster year to year(to see turnover) is also a good idea

Do you really think any DI or DII softball programs would make their scholarship players tryout before the season starts? I guess if the recruit does not make the team, they will as least have a year's worth of free education courtesy of the softball program. The coach won't be around very long if that is their common practice. Only a DIII school would be able to do the try-out thing. Logic is not snobbery.
as the world turns

by jonriv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

as the world turns wrote:
jonriv wrote:

Do you really think any DI or DII softball programs would make their scholarship players tryout before the season starts? I guess if the recruit does not make the team, they will as least have a year's worth of free education courtesy of the softball program. The coach won't be around very long if that is their common practice. Only a DIII school would be able to do the try-out thing. Logic is not snobbery.

St Anselm is a Div II school- most players-even on DI teams do not have athletic money. You mistake myth for logic and ignore fact.
jonriv

by as the world turns » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm

jonriv wrote:
as the world turns wrote:
jonriv wrote:

St Anselm is a Div II school- most players-even on DI teams do not have athletic money. You mistake myth for logic and ignore fact.

I guess in your part of the world they don't. In CA, many get some athletic money. If you are attending a DI or DII school and did not get an athletic scholarship, you would be referred to as a "Walk On" and would be subjected to a tryout. Why on earth would a coach tryout a player that was awarded an athletic scholarship?
It seems you like to bag on DI and DII programs. Why is that?
as the world turns

by jonriv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:42 am

DII & DIII (as well as DI) have players that are "recruited" but have no athletic money. Coaches can utilize "slots" to get the athlete through admissions. On the DI level they are sometimes referred to as either invited or recruited walk-ons. What would you call players at an Ivy League School(or a Service Academy or at many Patriot League schools)? They do not have athletic money.

My intent here was to warn parents that are going through the recruiting process that this scenario is out there and they should be aware of it. Similar to parents being aware that their DD can be cut from a team after playing a year or two- even with athletic $$$.

The situation I was relaying here- the girl was recruited by the coach, the coach helped her through admissions- then cut her during fall practice

On a roster of 19- 11 are Freshmen

I am sure this is not the only place this has happened?

So if World you want to remain in your fantasy world where everyone receives full four year rides and all of the coaches are Angels- where no one is ever cut and player's best interests are always looked after- go ahead. Us in the real world will try to help those out there by warning them about pitfalls to watch out for.
jonriv

by SwingKing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 am

More names would be great. My DD was actually looking at that aschool.
SwingKing

Next

Return to College Recruiting