Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Beware the "Overrecruiters"

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:01 am

Central CT Div I (he does let players know there is a try-out)

Southern CT Div II

Springfield Div III(she also let's everyone know there is a tryout and they also have a JV)
jonriv

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:03 am

San Marcos (NAIA) has tryouts and cuts girls. Not sure if they notify you up front or not about the tryouts.

I also know San Jose State carries a huge roster and then they redshirt girls who are not going to play. I think they still get their money though, so that is good.
Sftbll4ever

by as the world turns » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:San Marcos (NAIA) has tryouts and cuts girls. Not sure if they notify you up front or not about the tryouts.

I also know San Jose State carries a huge roster and then they redshirt girls who are not going to play. I think they still get their money though, so that is good.

I don't think both of these programs award a whole bunch of money to their players.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 am

as the world turns wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:San Marcos (NAIA) has tryouts and cuts girls. Not sure if they notify you up front or not about the tryouts.

I don't think both of these programs award a whole bunch of money to their players.

That wasn't the question though. I know some girls at SJSU that were not told that they were going to need to tryout when they got there. Now they are not playing. They did get some money and now have jobs to pay off their loans. If they had known before going there that this was going to happen, they may have thought about their choice and looked somewhere else.
Sftbll4ever

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Aimed at no one in particular:
From what I've seen at a variety of levels of softball programs is that kids have chosen a school with a team that is simply above them talent-wise. Sometimes the kid doesn't care if she sits on the bench year after year. However, most I've seen do care. I've seen kids quit softball, transfer and generally, needlessly suffer. They would have been far better off if they and their parents had been more realistic about their abilities relative to their peers at the school they chose. Whether or not you were told you would have to try out, the mistake was going there in the first place if you weren't good enough to make the team. Choosing a college is obviously important. It might be a good time to do your homework on the possible teams and make a realistic assessment of the kid's abilities. Seems like a pretty strong set up for failure and disappointment to have your average student enroll at Harvard because those involved are unwilling/unable to face the fact that the kid just ain't bright enough to go there. This is where the kids with delusional parents pay the price and you can often see it coming years in advance.

Saddened Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DDG » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Aimed at no one in particular:
.... Seems like a pretty strong set up for failure and disappointment to have your average student enroll at Harvard because those involved are unwilling/unable to face the fact that the kid just ain't bright enough to go there. This is where the kids with delusional parents pay the price and you can often see it coming years in advance.

Saddened Squirrel

Academically speaking, if they are average, they are protected as Harvard would not let them in. Athletically, the parent and player need to be realistic about their ability. You can't rely on the coach always being 100% honest/accurate. Unfortunately, with delusional parents, this will most likely not happen.
DDG

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Just found out about two other schools (div III) that over-recruited players and then cut incoming freshmen after "tryouts" make sure you ask the question up-front. many coaches (ie Springfield in Mass.) will tell you they have tryouts and you have to earn a spot. Other schools do not let the players know until they are there.
jonriv

by Fredegar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:48 pm

As Squirrel and DDG said, parents need to be realistic of their kid's ability and help steer them to an appropriate school, if playing softball is a priority.

Yes, it would suck to be cut at Freshman tryouts (whether or not you know tryouts exist), but it might also suck to simply not be good enough to get any playing time and/or be cut before soph year.

Rather than worry about Freshman tryouts, you're better off making sure you're good enough to play at that school. If so, over-recruiting and Freshman tryouts won't matter. Because regardless of what they tell you, you must always be prepared to earn a spot.

JR-I think ATWT is simply saying that the odds of over-recruiting are greater at schools where there's limited/no athletic money.
Fredegar

by jonriv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Well since in your example (DIII) they are not paying the players for the sport what is the problem? The kid is going to the school and if they don't make the team, oh well, they are still going to the school. If you are not on an athletic scholarship I wouldn't think there was any guarantee that you will play or even be on the team.

The problem is that these coaches recruit these players to come to their school to play softball and frankly are not forthcoming. Softball was part of there the students choice and frankly the coaches in these cases were dishonest. Why hide the fact you have tryouts?? As mentioned, there are schools out there that have tryouts and let prospects know the deal. It is certainly worth asking.
jonriv

by Fredegar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 pm

jonriv wrote:many coaches will tell you they have tryouts and you have to earn a spot. Other schools do not let the players know until they are there.
Why hide the fact you have tryouts??

Guess I still don't understand your point. Coaches shouldn't have to tell kids they are expected to earn a spot. Every time you step onto the field at practice, it's essentially a tryout for playing time. Or, as you said, making a team. Tryouts or not, it still comes down to: are you good enough to play for that particular team?
Fredegar

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting