Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

If You Had To Do It Over Again....

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Coach11 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 pm

OK Gang,

This past Fall my daughter signed her NLI and I for one am happy that "the process" is over. Been a long and (at times) hectic ride.

Looking to start a thread here that may help those with daughters in early stages of their softball careers. The dos and don'ts....what worked, what didn't....what to expect...and what to stear clear of.

I'll weigh in with my own thoughts at some point....for now, let her rip.
Coach11

by jonriv » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Glad we did-

-As many individual showcase as we could
- college clinics/camps
-as many college visits
-constant e-mails to coaches
-loved the games

Wish we would have

-Done more college clinics
-Started the process earlier(started sophomore year)
-Been on teams earlier that promoted their players
jonriv

by DDG » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Academics! Glad my kid always made this a priority. It wasn’t until the end of her junior year that she decided that she wanted to go into math and science, and attend one of the top academic schools. Without the solid four years of great grades, her choice of schools in those fields would have been very limited.

I have seen many great athletes limit their chances because they did not take care of their academics. It’s too bad no one told them sooner that grades count.

Get on a team that will be seen. Look at the fields they are on in the major showcases. Many good athletes don’t get the chance they may deserve because they are not playing on the fields where the colleges are at. This is really important for the “normal” gold level player. The greatest of the group will always be seen. But for the other 90%, exposure is important.

Emails and letters – Get real good at keeping a database with all the important information for each school of interest. Track all your contact. Use every excuse you can to email the reach out to the coach (updated schedule, updated resume, sending congrats on their teams recent performance, etc.).

Visits – As finances allow, go to as many as you can. Also, for schools close by, go to their games. Make sure to greet the coach before or after the game, when appropriate. This shows them you are interested, and lets you see how the teams functions.

If possible, go hear Sue Enquist speak (or someone like her). Being in SoCal, we have had the privilege of hearing her several times. Great motivational experience.

Lastly, even tough guys can cry when the kid signs on the dotted line.
DDG

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:30 pm

At about age 6, buy her a nice set of golf clubs.
Don't look back.
Fore! :lol:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:At about age 6, buy her a nice set of golf clubs.
Don't look back.

My son is an aspiring golfer- much more fun training him than sitting on a bucket!!! My wife "makes" me play with him and he regularly kicks my butt!!!

I agree with DDG- GRADES- would have pushed harder(good grades give more choices)
jonriv

by DDG » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:At about age 6, buy her a nice set of golf clubs.
Don't look back.

Advantages of golf over softball:
- You get to drive a cart
- You can play with your kid without getting hurt (most of the time)
- There is actually money in golf after college (for the top 1%)
- You don’t have a mediocre team holding your princess back
- You don’t even need red cups. Most courses have a cart that brings your beer to you.
DDG

by freetacos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Don't forget the 19th hole!

ft
freetacos

by hit4power » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

DDG's post is spot on!

1) Grades and Test scores - our TB coach tells parents all the time that the only stats he's ever asked about by college coaches are GPA and SAT. So many more doors are open to your DD if she's got grades and test scores. Mine wouldn't be headed on to college ball if it weren't for her grades and test scores.
2) Be Seen - I couldn't agree more - get on a team that gets seen at the big exposure tournaments and has connections to the schools you are interested in. Do your homework on this before you go to a tryout.
3) Communicate - letters and emails are great, but coaches get a million of them. Phone calls are a difference maker from our experience. Not the easiest thing for many HS sophomores and juniors to do, but it will set your kid apart from others who don't.
4) Visit - get out to all the schools you can, and make your DD call ahead to schedule the visit and some face time with the coach. Be realistic - if you are trying to visit in the spring, the coach is busy - let 'em know you are coming, plan to watch a game and just introduce yourself after the game - and talk about the game, what you saw, etc. Had a couple of coaches compliment my DD based on what she noticed during the game.
5) Clinics - I think these are great at smaller schools - at the big schools they are just a money maker. Choose carefully
6) Finally - be realistic about what level your DD is going to play in college. Seen too many parents pushing to get their DD to be seen by one of the big names out there when in fact she isn't that caliber of player. By the time they admit the obvious, it can be too late in the game to get the best (realistic) recruiting outcome. The sooner you focus on the "right" list of schools, the better off you will be. Ask your TB coach and listen....
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm

How important is the travel ball organization? Does it make a difference? And do certain colleges prefer some over the other?
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fifteen's » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 pm

BAM2 wrote:How important is the travel ball organization? Does it make a difference? And do certain colleges prefer some over the other?

Very, Yes, and Yes. :)
Fifteen's

Next

Return to College Recruiting