Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

How do we know?

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by LaderaDD96 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 pm

This may be a stupid question...

But how do we know if our DD is on anyone's radar?? she plays for a Top Level TB team here in So Cal... She goes to one of the premiere Hitting coaches in the area, Writes letters every other week to about 30+ schools... had a great HS Season (numerous mentions in the OC Register) as well as a who's Hot write up in the paper... She is a Sophomore this year (2014)... is there more we should be doing?

So How do we know???
LaderaDD96
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LaderaDD96 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:41 pm

thanks Spaz... i feel like we are just so Blind although it seems like we are doing the right things... i guess i will talk to our coach and see what he has heard... other than what i wrote above is there anything else we should be doing? calls? Skills Video etc?
LaderaDD96
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

On the advice of my DD's guidance counselor- we set up a meeting with a particular school. It was a coach we had sent letters, e-mails etc......, but had no indication they had any interest. At the meeting- the coach had mentioned he saw her several times(including one of her best games ever) He also had a huge folder with his notes and her letters and newspaper articles etc... The lesson I got was that you really never know..

BTW- she is playing for that coach now
jonriv

by DaMann » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

You say she's on a top level TB team, is she playing 16U or 18u? Does the club have a high success rate of getting kids recruited? Are they attending the top showcases and playing on the main fields? If so she will have no problem being on several coaches radar and they will be contacting your TB coach this summer (probably after Colorado). Some key advice that we received when my DD was " your DD doesn't have to be the best player, but she must be in best situation" ( based on my experience it really does matter what TB your DD plays for). jmo
DaMann

by hit4power » Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 am

Writes letters every other week to about 30+ schools...

IMO,that's a reasonable list of schools at this point in time for your DD. Does her TB team have a history of getting their players into some/most/any of these schools? And does your TB coach feel this is a good list of schools relative to your DD's abilities (academic & athletic)? If yes, then I'd suggest she start making some phone calls to introduce herself. It would be a plus if she knew some of the players off her TB team that recently or are currently playing at these schools. TB coach can help with that. College coaches get tons of email and requests to come watch players (especially in Colo) - it helps to be something more than a bunch of email in the coaches' eyes.

OTOH, if there is not a history between DD's TB team and the schools in which she is interested
then you need to talk to the TB coach and understand whether she/he is starting to build those relationships and work on behalf of your DD or not.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 am

Important that you supply the coach with specific information;

Dear Coach- I will be play at the ***** showcase with my team ********. Are game schedule is as follows:

game 1 9:00 at field 1
game 2 11:00 at field 2

game 3 at 3:00 filed 3

I am number #### and play left or center field

make sure to update coaches with any changes

We were amazed how many coaches came to see my DD at Rising Stars-just because she took the effort to invite them and to tell them when and where

Make it as easy as possible for the coaches to find and see your daughter

As mentioned before- camps/clinics are another way to get face time- just make sure you do research on just what kind of camp/clinic it is- if it has 50-110 participants, it may not be worth the time
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 am

LaderaDD96 wrote:This may be a stupid question...

But how do we know if our DD is on anyone's radar?? she plays for a Top Level TB team here in So Cal... She goes to one of the premiere Hitting coaches in the area, Writes letters every other week to about 30+ schools... had a great HS Season (numerous mentions in the OC Register) as well as a who's Hot write up in the paper... She is a Sophomore this year (2014)... is there more we should be doing?

So How do we know???

Have you filled out the recruit profile/questionnaire at each school. One coach told me how surprised they were at correspondence they get from kids that have not filled one out. Coach said,"How serious can they be about us?"
jonriv

by ontheblack » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 am

Spazsdad wrote:You never get a second chance to make a first impression. There are kids that are rushed out in front of college coaches when they are not ready. That doesn't help them. The coaches aren't necessarily going to look at a player and say " Oh, she is young" and cut her some slack. If they are looking at you they expect you to compete.
Timing can be everything.

Great advise which I think many parents and coaches dont even think about, especially at 14s.
ontheblack

by LaderaDD96 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:16 am

DaMann wrote:You say she's on a top level TB team, is she playing 16U or 18u? Does the club have a high success rate of getting kids recruited? Are they attending the top showcases and playing on the main fields? If so she will have no problem being on several coaches radar and they will be contacting your TB coach this summer (probably after Colorado). Some key advice that we received when my DD was " your DD doesn't have to be the best player, but she must be in best situation" ( based on my experience it really does matter what TB your DD plays for). jmo

She Currently Plays 16U... her organization is well known for putting most of their kids into College programs... I believe we are attending all the right showcases, (Surf City, America's Finest, PGF, CO Fireworks, etc... )... without calling it out her TB organization was listed in the TCS top 10 travel ball organizations in the 2011 poll and are in the top 15 of the 2012 mid season poll... Now i know this is based on the 18 Gold program but it is feeding into that...
Last edited by LaderaDD96 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaderaDD96
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LaderaDD96 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 am

jonriv wrote:Have you filled out the recruit profile/questionnaire at each school. One coach told me how surprised they were at correspondence they get from kids that have not filled one out. Coach said,"How serious can they be about us?"

We have filled out for most school's... i will make sure this has been done for all schools she is writing... good reminder!
LaderaDD96
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to College Recruiting