Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

AP courses???

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Trophy Hunter » Wed May 23, 2012 6:35 pm

ontheblack wrote:
Code: Select all
Schools don't look at your GPA, they look at your grades and they look at the course, [i]they also look at your high school's profile[/i][b][/b] - a rating system colleges have set up for themselves. Then they put it into their own algorithm to find what they say your GPA is. This is true at almost every decent school and applies to athletes and non-athletes. Basically, every school you apply to can evaluate you as having a different GPA

Not to question the law, but do others believe this to be true? My kid is in a school where a low B in many of classes would be an easy A in neighboring HS.

Yes, the admissions officers "profile" high schools. At the very least they know the better college prep schools around the country, and they know how students from each HS do once they are at their college. If students from your HS have a solid track record at a particular college, it helps your own child's chances for admission.

Check your HS matriculation list, preferably over a period of time, say 5 years. It will give you a solid idea of what colleges are accepting their graduates.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by ontheblack » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 pm

OK, I guess I wont ride her quite as hard for that B... this time.
ontheblack

by DOG310 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 am

I would think coaches would like to have kids that not only took AP classes, but did well on the exams. DD1 is not doing softball in college, but will almost be a sophomore based on AP exam results. That, and her academic scholarships to a great school, makes papa happy.

Hopefully DD2, the softball nut, will continue that academic tradition and if softball helps a bit, maybe, just maybe, mama will let me retire early!! :D
DOG310

by jonriv » Fri May 25, 2012 5:41 am

Trophy Hunter wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
Code: Select all
Schools don't look at your GPA, they look at your grades and they look at the course, [i]they also look at your high school's profile[/i][b][/b] - a rating system colleges have set up for themselves. Then they put it into their own algorithm to find what they say your GPA is. This is true at almost every decent school and applies to athletes and non-athletes. Basically, every school you apply to can evaluate you as having a different GPA

Not to question the law, but do others believe this to be true? My kid is in a school where a low B in many of classes would be an easy A in neighboring HS.

Yes, the admissions officers "profile" high schools. At the very least they know the better college prep schools around the country, and they know how students from each HS do once they are at their college. If students from your HS have a solid track record at a particular college, it helps your own child's chances for admission.

Check your HS matriculation list, preferably over a period of time, say 5 years. It will give you a solid idea of what colleges are accepting their graduates.

When we interviewed at Tufts the coach verified pretty much everything TH said. Coach said the admissions department rated HSs throughout the country and GPAs were evaluated by where they were from- they were very aware of grade inflation. One of the most important part of the admissions process is SAT and/or ACT score. That is the real apples to apples comparison. How many recruiting sheet s have you seen with a 4.0 or greater GPA and a average to lousy SAT score(kind of says it all)?
jonriv

by SoftballKing » Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Agree that you should strive for the PreAP \ AP classes if possible. Not only will it
more than likely help her get a better GPA, but your daughter will be more prepared for
the college work load and SAT test. Taking the AP classes should also help her class ranking.
Its all about the GPA, SAT \ ACT scores and class ranking. I know in my daughters high
school the kids that are not in the PreAP \ AP classes will struggle to get in the top 5% to 10% of the class ranking.

Also, know how classes are weighted. In our state level classes are 4.0 for an A, PreAP is 5.0 for an A and AP classes are 6.0 for an A. Making an A or B in an AP class will jump you
ahead of the kids only taking regular classes since the highest GPA they can earn is a 4.0.
SoftballKing

by Trophy Hunter » Tue May 29, 2012 1:26 pm

This is the first I've seen you can get 6.0 for an A in any class! Which explains why top colleges give GPA minor consideration and focus instead on SAT scores.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by McGee » Wed May 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Girls who struggle to achieve B's in high school should forget collegiate sports and enroll at at community college or possibly the lowest level four year institutions. If they survive theit first year, they might consider sports.

Sports can help "break ties" and help them gain admission to schools where they otherwise may not get admitted. Your scores and grades still need to be very high at the top schools. ACTs 32 or higher , total SATs above 2100 and 3.9 GPAs are close to the bare minimum.
McGee

Previous

Return to College Recruiting