Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Need some softball resume advice

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by mexihulagirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 am

I am asking around the softball world for some advice.

Question: Is it better to play up or stay in age group and be a part of a team that has potential to win some of the big tourneys?

I am sure her age will also change people's advice, so here is a little background. My daughter is 12 years old and has another year of 12U eligibility. She has been playing 12's for 2 years already, so staying another year will make it 3 years at 12U.

Another question: How important is it to have top finishes in big tourneys on a resume? Will it add value to her when she is 15-16 and talking to colleges?
mexihulagirl

by mexihulagirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 am

I guess what I am really trying to ask...

Is 12U too young for me to start worrying about these things :?: :?:
mexihulagirl

by jonriv » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 pm

She should play at the highest level she can compete--

hold her back -she may be bored. Push too hard she might be in over her head

You want her on a team that gets the most exposure, but also offer her the best chance to play and learn
jonriv

by hit4power » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm

What part of the country do you live in?

Question: Is it better to play up or stay in age group and be a part of a team that has potential to win some of the big tourneys?

I think playing up only makes sense if she is good enough to actually play (vs. sit the bench) on a good team at the next level up. Being on a team that makes it to a National and does well is probably a plus (small in my view) for the added exposure but there are lots of kids playing college ball who never made it to a national (or were punched out early) at 16U or 18G. I don't think college coaches care what happened at 12U in a tournament - heck my kid (now a graduated HS senior) probably remembers more about the pin trading at 12U than any of the games....

Is it too soon to worry? All I can say is that, based on my experience, a whole lot is going to happen in your DD's life over the next 6 years. She may quit softball and discover another sport or something completely outside of sports that captivates her. Boys happen, too. At 12U mine was a pitcher and SS, small size, good speed, no pop in the bat, liked science, played volleyball and basketball in the offseason, and thought Miley Cyrus was cool. Six years later, she's given up the other sports, plays 3B, hits for power, hates science, and loves history and writing, and thinks the Black Keys are cool.

Enjoy the ride, and be there to help your DD find her path. If it happens to include softball, I think I'm on safe ground saying there are a lot of ways to get there and what happens at 12U is not that critical as long as she's having fun and learning.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WarriorFan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 pm

She should go wherever she can get the best coaching. She needs to learn as much about the game as she can. Get in the most quality practice reps.

Playing time (and exposure) will take care of itself if she truly has a good coach.
WarriorFan

by mexihulagirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for that advice. Some of the things mentioned, like change of interest is something my hubby and I have talked about. As long as this is what she wants, we will do our part and research the right steps to this whole madness. LOL

We are from Northern California.

The team she plays on now is a 12U but moving to 14's in Fall. She is a starter, bats 4 or 5 spot and doesnt sit bench at all. I'm pretty sure playing up won't change that. My dd is a pretty big kid for her age and hasnt had a growth spurt yet...just turned 12 a couple months ago and is about 5'3 1/2. She has always moved up 1 year early because the coaches have picked her and she has been pretty competitive at that level. My view has always been to challenge her and see what she can do. So far...so good.
mexihulagirl

Return to College Recruiting