Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

how to tell college coach that you can't finish season--$

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by pafan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:16 am

I have just lost my job and, while my daughter (a rising junior) has just picked up a job at a fast food store to help contribute to expenses (household and otherwise), we will not be able to finish the showcase season (traveling will just be too cost prohibitive). (Unlike my daughter, I cannot find work at our local fast food or department stores.)

She participated at the Pennsbury Academic camp (she is first in her class, with great SAT scores and taking all high level honors and AP classes) and got some interest from coaches, who might be looking to see her in action in some later showcases.

Will a coach understand this dilemma? And what should she say? It's a rough situation for everyone. Her team is aware of the situation and her missing there is not an issue for them; they understand.

Any advice is appreciated.
pafan

by Fredegar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 am

Sorry to hear about your predicament. First, explain the situation to your TB coach. Many coaches will be able to waive/reduce fees in cases of financial hardship. As for upcoming showcases, if hotels are involved, look into your DD going on her own and staying with another family. If airfare is involved, you've likley purchased those tickets already, so might as well use them.

Ultimately, if your DD simply can't make the trip, I'm sure your TB coach can explain to any College coaches that your DD couldn't make these last couple trips due to finances, but expects her to be back with the team in the Fall.

Good luck to you. And your DD.
Fredegar

by 3'sDad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:05 am

PAFAN: Many teams need a guest player for a particular event. Use the local sports postings (NJ.com, there is also a PA board). If a team is in need of a guest, there should be no charge; they're thrilled to have filled in the position for that weekend.

Best of luck.
3'sDad

by DonnieS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 am

First of all - good luck to you Pafan. Had a perfect storm of stuff happen to us at the worst possible time for DD2 - be open with the coaches - be sure you personally (or your daughter better) talk to the college coaches. I am not going to tell you that is not going to affect things with recruiting - because I promise you it will. What happened in our case, is the problems we were going through actually filtered out some choices - and my kid could not be happier with her choice.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3'sDad » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 am

Donnie: You have about 4 weeks before DD2 heads off to HB.....hope she's having a good summer.

This past weekend up here reminded me of visiting my in-laws in your neck of the woods! The DD played this weekend at a large Tri-State area tourney - the facility is turf.

Yesterday the kids feet were so hot they there was no standing around - move or the bottom of the feet would feel like they were burning.
3'sDad

by DonnieS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm

3'sDad wrote:Donnie: You have about 4 weeks before DD2 heads off to HB.....hope she's having a good summer.

This past weekend up here reminded me of visiting my in-laws in your neck of the woods! The DD played this weekend at a large Tri-State area tourney - the facility is turf.

Yesterday the kids feet were so hot they there was no standing around - move or the bottom of the feet would feel like they were burning.

Yep, time is counting down. Lots of practicing - lots of playing , lots of beach time, lots of going to Whataburger Field (our Astros minor league team here the Hooks play - great evenings spent there) , getting lots of home cooking into that baby girl. She actually took some time off from going to the beach , she had gone so many days straight.

Saying my prayers for PAfan - hoping their family gets through this challenge as soon as possible.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting