Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting hierarchy by position

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by 93players » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 pm

A couple of points.

1. We had a kids on our team who could crush the ball to the wall. But too big and slow for the field. I was standing next to a coach at the Indy tourney in Colorado and she said. "I would love to have that kid, but she will not be happy just as a DH. Will quit within 2 years. But, her hitting style of great for fast difficult pitchers, Not for the ones in d2 and d3 ball. That player will struggle." Player signed D3, no money. Candiotti loved her swing at 14U, just got too slow.

2. Ga Tech told a player, to convert to a position she never played. We will put the best 9 on the field. I look at batting and athleticism. Doesnt matter that you never played 3rd.
93players

by jonriv » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 am

The conversion of so many players from other positions to outfield and explains the poor outfield play we see at the College Level. Too many think that just anyone can play outfield and don't seem to realize that nuances to play the position well are learned over time. Can a great athlete play a serviceable outfield?-of course, but an excellent outfielder needs to be season. An error in the infield will cost you a baserunner, an error in the outfield will cost you a run.
jonriv

by Boogieman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 pm

When my DD was in 10u I was told she had to play OF because she was a lefty. I used to get worried because over the years I would see coaches try and hide the not so good players in the OF to get them playing time. So of course that always made me wonder what they thought about my DD. She was always fast and could track a ball. Once we got to 14u the balls were flying into the OF and she shined, making plays all over and saving a lot of games. She has found a home in CF and has become a leader in the OF, taking control.
Boogieman

Previous

Return to College Recruiting