Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting hierarchy by position

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by 29dad » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Obviously pitchers and catchers are recruited first. Whst's the next priority? SS? CF? Is it true that 2B is the last position recruited? Best thing about my DD is that she's versatile, but if it's more beneficial to play 3B than it is to play 1B or 2B, then I would rather she specialize at third. Just curious whether or not there's a scu=ience to all of this. Thanks.
29dad

by Trophy Hunter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:24 pm

" Hitting" is recruited more than any position after pitcher, and maybe catcher. A catcher that can hit is obviously gold. If your kid can hit they will will find somewhere for her to play.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by freetacos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:42 pm

A pure hitter may end up as DH. The hardest position on the roster bar none.

pitcher, catcher. left side of infield, outfield and lastly 2nd and 1st.

But what the heck do I know?

ft
freetacos

by Fifteen's » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 pm

There was a poll of D1 coaches done recently. I think I stumbled across it on here. JR might of posted it. It said Pitcher, than Catcher and S/S equally, then CF I believe. Like TH said, "Hitting" is recruited, probably second only to Pitchers.

My $.02 :D
Fifteen's

by DonnieS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Spazsdad wrote:SS are recruited and many times moved to other spots since they are usually the best athlete on the field. Had a friend's daughter go to a big school and they brought in 5 or 6 SS that year. She got moved to CF.

I heard from some recruiting coaches a couple of years back - 'We look for shortstops - thats usually where the best athletes are.'
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:45 pm

While many schools recruit 1st base, a couple scouts told us they typically do NOT recruit for 1st base. They told us that good-hitting pitchers can play 1st, and some big-hitters who would otherwise DH can also train to play 1st.
Fredegar

by hit4power » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:48 pm

In talking to some college coaches I was left with the impression that after pitchers and catchers some recruit athletes meaning, as was said above, they tend to recruit SS's and CF's as that is typically where the best athletes are found, but others want players with specific position experience, especially for SS and 3B. Everyone wants hitting, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned speed as another tool that seems to get noticed and recruited.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

hit4power wrote:In talking to some college coaches I was left with the impression that after pitchers and catchers some recruit athletes meaning, as was said above, they tend to recruit SS's and CF's as that is typically where the best athletes are found, but others want players with specific position experience, especially for SS and 3B. Everyone wants hitting, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned speed as another tool that seems to get noticed and recruited.

Very true - I was lucky in that my girls both were born fast - the older was always fast - the younger - at a very young , had the bejebus scared out of her by a large cotton mouth - and turned from moving like an ewok - to being very fast. DD1 and I witnessed the transformation together - we were busy getting away from the snake - and then noticed that DD2 was no where to be found. Then DD1 says 'Jeez Dad - look ' and we saw this pink blur running up a hill. I put her on an AAU track team the next summer. Anyway, speed is like hitting , it will get attention, but hitting and speed together - thats called Raven Chavanne , and Blind Squirrel and I have both petitioned ASA and NCAA to have her outlawed. However, the University of Tennesee seems to see it otherwise.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PlayingfortheOCB » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 am

Our experience @ Univ of Tenn.... best hitters play....If you can hit... you will play somewhere..
PlayingfortheOCB

by NORCALGOLD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:58 pm

After pitchers and catchers. What level of team she plays on not what position is more important.. One teams SS might not make a higher level teams infield. Hitting is recruited more than any talent.
NORCALGOLD

Next

Return to College Recruiting