Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

The unasked recruiting question

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by WhoMe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:09 am

I have a question to pose to everyone out there and it is one that I am surprised isn't asked more.

How many of the players out there that are being recruited by schools, being pushed towards that goal of playing college ball, aren't actually ready to handle a 4 yr college? I ask this due the amount of student/athletes (and just plain students as well) that end up coming back after a semester or two.

Maybe its parents, maybe its peer pressure or maybe its the competitiveness in the players themselves that drives them to think that anything less than a 4 yr school is a failure. I do think it is something that people need to talk about.

A year or two at a JC may not be the goal of a talented ball player but it sometimes can mean the difference between a successful transition towards a college degree and kid that drops out of school.

Just wondering what other peoples opinions are in this area,
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Diamonds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I agree 100% with your question. Many girls are not ready for a four year college or University and that is why I have girls every season go to a 2 year college when I could have placed them at a 4 year school. I have quite a few of my players that have went to a two year and are now with 4 year programs are are doing great. There is nothing wrong with a student athlete going to a 2 year college then transferring.
Diamonds
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Diamonds wrote:I agree 100% with your question. Many girls are not ready for a four year college or University and that is why I have girls every season go to a 2 year college when I could have placed them at a 4 year school. I have quite a few of my players that have went to a two year and are now with 4 year programs are are doing great. There is nothing wrong with a student athlete going to a 2 year college then transferring.

As long as the credits transfer...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by 93players » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 pm

I am from the Centex area. Only 1 player in 3 years has quit D1 and gone to a JUCO. All others have made it or quit ball and stayed in school. The programs that Texas and Texas A&M and Texas State and SAM put players into are just not that rigorous. Kinesiology. They wont let a weak academic athlete take math or science or premed. They know which classes give half As and have Bs. So the degree the players get is not the best for a job, but they get through the school work.
93players

by jonriv » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 am

93players wrote:I am from the Centex area. Only 1 player in 3 years has quit D1 and gone to a JUCO. All others have made it or quit ball and stayed in school. The programs that Texas and Texas A&M and Texas State and SAM put players into are just not that rigorous. Kinesiology. They wont let a weak academic athlete take math or science or premed. They know which classes give half As and have Bs. So the degree the players get is not the best for a job, but they get through the school work.

There's a selling point- "come to our school, we're not to rigorous!"
jonriv

by ontheblack » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

jonriv wrote:
93players wrote:I am from the Centex area. Only 1 player in 3 years has quit D1 and gone to a JUCO. All others have made it or quit ball and stayed in school. The programs that Texas and Texas A&M and Texas State and SAM put players into are just not that rigorous. Kinesiology. They wont let a weak academic athlete take math or science or premed. They know which classes give half As and have Bs. So the degree the players get is not the best for a job, but they get through the school work.

There's a selling point- "come to our school, we're not to rigorous!"

Like med school in Grenada.

Back on topic, there are a handful of TB programs here that regularly have kids that go to JCs then on to a 4 year. One recently announced on HB went from JC to University of San Diego. Parents that I have talked to whose kids went the JC route did so because of academics.
ontheblack

by DDG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Most that I'm familiar with go to JUCO due to academics as the primary reason. I feel some of the borderline kids that barely get accepted to 4 yr schools are better off going JUCo first and getting studies in order. Almost all the borderline kids I know of are not going to get a degree at their 4 yr school anytime soon.

Sadly, I agree with what others have posted, if a kid is not strong academically, instead of getting them help, most major programs restrict the classes they can take.

Nice marketing slogan...Come to our school. It's not that rigorous!
DDG

by catcherdad » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 pm

I have talked to parents and players who have gone the JUCO route in softball and it is a little like minor league bb. You better be prepared to compete against some really motivated kids. Pitchers get eaten alive by overaggresive batters. Those JUCO teams are often 3-4 deep in many positions. Dont think it is an easy route to get to D1 ball. It is not.
catcherdad

by Diesels_dad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 am

As many recognize Florida as being the powerhouse of softball, here is an average Florida Community College Baller---Crystal BUUUUUUSTOS…….. :shock:

imagine average pitcher going against this BEAST. Though I feel its player/parent choice on facemask (other thread), I would have to agree its mandatory in this situation.

My point, just because it is a JC, does not always mean JC athletes

http://askville.amazon.com/softball-pla ... d=14726547
Diesels_dad

by Trophy Hunter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 am

If Crystal Bustos is the average, who were some above-average Florida juco players?
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

Return to College Recruiting