Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

When do you start?

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Retrospective:

10U: Rec ball and all stars - Have fun playing, learn basics, have fun playing
12U: TB - Have fun playing, learn more fundamentals, try to improve skills, have fun playing
14U: See 12U
18 (1st 2 years): Worry about recruiting - Literally never entered our minds before that - R word never previously spoken. First time we heard it we were in shock (I'm not kidding) and were quite suddenly immersed. Not ready. Clueless.
18 (2nd 2 years): Play for a team that goes to Nationals (never been before) to play with/against best players possible - college prep
College: Pray for rain

Cranium Densium Squirrel (2.6 schooled me but it was too late by then)

All these headaches with keeping her motivated and trying to help her get recruited and all I can look forward to is praying for rain on gamedays? :(

Say it isn't so, Squirrel...say it isn't so. :shock:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:Retrospective:

10U: Rec ball and all stars - Have fun playing, learn basics, have fun playing
12U: TB - Have fun playing, learn more fundamentals, try to improve skills, have fun playing
14U: See 12U
18 (1st 2 years): Worry about recruiting - Literally never entered our minds before that - R word never previously spoken. First time we heard it we were in shock (I'm not kidding) and were quite suddenly immersed. Not ready. Clueless.
18 (2nd 2 years): Play for a team that goes to Nationals (never been before) to play with/against best players possible - college prep
College: Pray for rain

Cranium Densium Squirrel (2.6 schooled me but it was too late by then)

All these headaches with keeping her motivated and trying to help her get recruited and all I can look forward to is praying for rain on gamedays? :(

Say it isn't so, Squirrel...say it isn't so. :shock:

My comment was just squirrel humor. Fear not.

The first time I saw my kid on the field, in her uniform before a meaningless preseason game, I nearly shat myself in disbelief. I just kept flashing back to the 6 year old playing T-Ball demonstrating the fine motor skills of a person in the midst of being tasered.

Back to the OP.

ANY 10U/12U parent or coach who is caught utterring the R word should be, well, tasered. It is that asinine and kids deserve better.

Heysoos H. Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Diesels_dad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 am

The PARENT should start at 10u if one does not have the background or history… that is, there is a lot of info to sort through to determine the best plan for player, especially if parent does not have such experience with past sibling.. This plan will continue to change and evolve. I’m baffled by those who say we r taking it slow or not worried about topic until junior year.. they must be a lot smarter than I am (but that is not saying much)
Attach yourself with parents who have gone through ropes at different levels and pick their brain…. A checklist if you will… watching (not playing) expo tourneys and camps helps with more questions/answers.. Ridiculous to ask daughter what she wants to major in and possibly narrowing down college pool… your objective is to learn the process. You will be overwhelmed and confused, by starting now you have the luxury to walk away and regroup (for a short period). Time is on your side in regards to educate yourself..
Know expectations prior to attending any tourney or camp.. Also, be honest with ability of athlete/player… For my DD, she guested on her first couple of expo tourneys. No letters, no contacts, just helping a team because pitcher was going to prom.. real relaxed. Just play the game attitude….. Her best college responses have been when she thought she played her worse game and or when she thought no coaches were watching. Presentation or what we call “poker face” takes years to fine tune—n college coaches love it.
Finally, Gurus on Heybucket have been very helpful with DD road to take. Do not deny the foundation of such a young player… FUN. This is the biggest lesson I’ve learned, especially if your daughter, like mine, excels at everything under the sun… pulling the reins back on “sea biscuit” is very draining but this is your job…. Choose tourneys wisely, playing every weekend can burn out player n family. Also, remember this is not your race or your miss opportunity from years back… It goes fast… faster than you can imagine..
Diesels_dad

by jonriv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 am

One caveat to asking parents that have "gone through the ropes" is making sure to verify what you here. If I listented to everyone at the the fields that "knew what they were talking about" I doubt my daughter would be playing in college. Too many exagerrated and mis-informed tales about "full-rides" etc.... The Cathy Aradi book is a must. Talk with coaches(TB and yes even HS)

As distasteful as it sounds- your daughter is a commodity and a "product" in this process- you/she will need to make sure she is marketed properly. You MUST keep a close eye and control of the proces. Make sure it is something SHE wants. Make sure you get honest, outside critique of your daughter's talent. It is great to dream, but as the adult in this equation you must make sure that expectations and goals are reasonable

Most of all- Have Fun!
jonriv

by WhoMe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey, my youngest is a 10U. I am trying get her profile done so it is known that she has verballed to the local junior HS. :lol:

To answer the question, it is never to early to start on the most important aspect of recruiting, GRADES!!!! The are STUDENT/Athletes and I have yet to see anyone come out of school with a degree in softball.

It is also never to early to keep it in perspective. If, from 10U on kids are led to believe it is Pac 12/SEC or bust, then they miss out on colleges that would provide a great education, a phenomenal athletic experience and some of the great memories.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm

WhoMe wrote:Hey, my youngest is a 10U. I am trying get her profile done so it is known that she has verballed to the local junior HS. :lol:

To answer the question, it is never to early to start on the most important aspect of recruiting, GRADES!!!! The are STUDENT/Athletes and I have yet to see anyone come out of school with a degree in softball.

It is also never to early to keep it in perspective. If, from 10U on kids are led to believe it is Pac 12/SEC or bust, then they miss out on colleges that would provide a great education, a phenomenal athletic experience and some of the great memories.

Another thing to remember- freshman grades in sHS are as if not more important than Senior grades
jonriv

by WhoMe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Agreed, If you start with a low GPA it is much tougher to raise.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by handsinsidetheball » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm

For the parent, I agree with others and they should start educating themselves when thier DD is in the 7/8th grade. They should educate themselves on the NCAA eligibility center, NCAA, costs, planning their own financial course, i.e. retirement savings vs. college costs.....By the time DD is high school, parents need a sound understanding of the academic and financial obligations of sending their kid to college.

For the DD...I am in the middle of the road..I think alot depends on the kid and their ability. It's impossible to stop the start of the recruiting process for an 7/8th grader if word gets out about outstanding ability she may posses. If 'friends of friends' talk, you can't stop the spreading of the "that XXX kid is a stud"...eventually ears of college coaches are reached....To have kids in 7th and 8th grade invited to "camps" , etc is common.

With talented kids going to specialty coaches who are either former players of universities or are well connected with college coaches from previous recruited players we cannot expect a college to not know about 7/8th graders....or to get their foot in the door with the kid (insert creative way here).

The recruiting process is large in scope...To think a kind word to a parent from XXX University coach or the kid's pitching instructor continously reminding the young athlete that XXX University is where they went, etc. is not the beginning of the recruiting process then that is naive...

My point?......Parents don't always initiate the recruiting process...or the "when do you start"...

Instill the culture of education into the DD (early as possible), educate yourself on collegiate athletics (7/8th grade) and if she is good enough (you will have an idea at second year 12/first year 14u) and you do your part (freshman - Senior year), she will find a college softball home .
handsinsidetheball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm

jonriv wrote:One caveat to asking parents that have "gone through the ropes" is making sure to verify what you here. If I listented to everyone at the the fields that "knew what they were talking about" I doubt my daughter would be playing in college. Too many exagerrated and mis-informed tales about "full-rides" etc.... The Cathy Aradi book is a must. Talk with coaches(TB and yes even HS)

Most of all- Have Fun!

Very true about verifying what you hear, and the Cathy Aradi book as well. I am looking across at a bookshelf and there are 6-7 years worth. NFCA sponsored anything were great because they would have "parent meetings" where an experience person from NFCA would speak to and answer questions. The other thing I think is a must - if you live in Texas - is to attend the Ronald McDonald tournament in late October, early November. Come early come often. We were coming back when the little girls thought they won a happy meal if they won the RMD. I don't know what age groups go any more - but at this tournament, you have a lot of things you can do , provided your coach works with you. CONTACT THE COACHES - tell them what field (it doesn't matter which field - don't get caught up in the whining) and eventually they will make your games. If not, you just learned something - move on. Most all major teams already attend this - but if you are getting to recruiting age 8th grade and up, and a team is talking to you about joining, make sure they have they are in Ronald McDonald. I am talking texas kids here - but there are plenty of 'foreigners' here as well, they let just about anyone cross the Red River these days.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to College Recruiting