Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

question on transfer

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by screbels » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I have a question if a player at NAIA college transfers to DI or DII school do they need redshirt a year?
Thank you
screbels
Premium Member
Premium Member

by just4fun » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Don't know for sure, but since I know a few girls that transferred from D1 to D1 without sitting out, I would think NAIA transfer wouldn't have to.
just4fun

by PDad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:08 pm

screbels wrote:I have a question if a player at NAIA college transfers to DI or DII school do they need redshirt a year?
Thank you

First off, redshirt has nothing to do with transfers.

OTB is correct that it depends. His link didn't open anything for me, so I found another NCAA publication, Transfer 101, that covers it step-by-step. The biggest step appears to be getting written permission-to-contact from the current school. Here is an excerpt:

Generally, if you are enrolled as a full-time student at an NCAA or National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) four-year school and you want to transfer to a different NCAA school to play, your current school’s athletics director must give written permission-to-contact to the new coach or member of the athletics staff before you or your parents can talk with one of them. That is called having a permission-to-contact letter.

You may write to any NCAA school saying that you are interested in transferring, but the new coach must not discuss transfer opportunities with you unless he or she has received written permission-to-contact from your current school.

If your current school does not give you written permission-to-contact, another school cannot contact you and encourage you to transfer. This does not preclude you from transferring; however, if the new school is in Division I or II, you cannot receive an athletics scholarship until you have attended the new school for one academic year.

Also, if your current school officials deny your request to permit another institution to contact you about transferring, they must tell you in writing that you have a right to appeal the decision. In that instance, a panel of individuals from your current school who are not involved in athletics will conduct a hearing to decide the issue.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 am

PDad wrote:You may write to any NCAA school saying that you are interested in transferring, but the new coach must not discuss transfer opportunities with you unless he or she has received written permission-to-contact from your current school.

So by this, a player or parent can contact a coach to let them know of the interest without discussing an official transfer?
Sftbll4ever

by screbels » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 am

got it thank you
screbels
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 am

It depends on a lot of things, starting with the sport. For example, with football, baseball and men's and women's basketball, any transfer TO a D1 from another 4 year school requires the student athlete to sit out one year.

The athlete would need the NAIA school to grant permission to another 4 year coach to contact your kid. However former TB coaches, etc dont need this permission if they want to call a coach and gauge the interest level.. Dont expect any confidentiality though if you go this route.

Not sure how I jacked up the link, but here is a link to the NCAA Transfer Guide for 12/13: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4288- ... 12-13.aspx

This site also provides a good overview: http://www.athleticscholarships.net/nca ... -rules.htm

You may also want to email Rick Allen, the author of http://www.informedathlete.com/ with specifics. I have a few friends who have done this and he is pretty good at getting back to people.
ontheblack

by PDad » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 pm

ontheblack wrote:It depends on a lot of things, starting with the sport. For example, with football, baseball and men's and women's basketball, any transfer TO a D1 from another 4 year school requires the student athlete to sit out one year.

The athlete would need the NAIA school to grant permission to another 4 year coach to contact your kid. However former TB coaches, etc dont need this permission if they want to call a coach and gauge the interest level.. Dont expect any confidentiality though if you go this route.
I've heard it also goes the other way - college coaches making contact via an intermediary (e.g. TB coach). Sounds like the same process they use to skirt recruiting rules for prospective student-athletes...

Not sure how I jacked up the link, but here is a link to the NCAA Transfer Guide for 12/13: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4288- ... 12-13.aspx

That's the same publication I referenced. My link is direct to the pdf.

The Transfer Guide also urges you to check with the conference(s) as their rules may be more stringent. There are phone numbers for each conference in the back of the guide.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting