Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

What qualifies as a coach in the eyes of the NCAA?

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by topsyt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 am

It is my understanding that college coaches can talk to travel-ball coaches, but how does the NCAA define a travel-ball coach?
topsyt

by PDad » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:04 am

topsyt wrote:It is my understanding that college coaches can talk to travel-ball coaches, but how does the NCAA define a travel-ball coach?

Being a travelball coach is not the criteria. Restrictions are on talking to players and about them to their parents, guardians, etc. Colleges can talk to parents about other people's kids and can't talk to a TB coach about their kid. These restrictions vary by the college's sanction and the player's grade in school.

Many teams have a parent handing out profiles and talking to colleges during games, however they might not be able to discuss their own kid in the process. Same thing when a TB coach is talking to a college. In both cases, they usually refer them to a coach that can discuss their kid.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:54 pm

We were always told that an official coach from the TB team could talk to college scouts. We've seen plenty of examples over the years where a TB coach distributes profiles and chats about all players on the team. Including his/her own kid. Agree with Spaz here, don't think I ever saw a coach excuse himself because the conversation turned to his kid. I'm sure PDad is right on the rules ... just saying, practically speaking, it seems to be a gray area because it happens.
Fredegar

by dodgerblue » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:01 pm

All the time.
dodgerblue

by PDad » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
PDad wrote:
topsyt wrote:It is my understanding that college coaches can talk to travel-ball coaches, but how does the NCAA define a travel-ball coach?

Being a travelball coach is not the criteria. Restrictions are on talking to players and about them to their parents, guardians, etc. Colleges can talk to parents about other people's kids and can't talk to a TB coach about their kid. These restrictions vary by the college's sanction and the player's grade in school.

Many teams have a parent handing out profiles and talking to colleges during games, however they might not be able to discuss their own kid in the process. Same thing when a TB coach is talking to a college. In both cases, they usually refer them to a coach that can discuss their kid.

:lol: :lol: Sorry, that brought on a chuckle

Okay, that is what is supposed to happen... I'm surprised you only highlighted the portions about TB coaches...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by topsyt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for the information, either this is not widely understood or not discussed. I coached 14U last season and 16U this season (played only ASA A-ball) and never heard this from anyone.
topsyt

by PDad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 am

NCAA Division I is the most restrictive. Here are the current rules from their manual.

13.02.12 Prospective Student-Athlete. A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, a student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution provides such an individual (or the individual’s relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally.

13.02.13 Recruiting. Recruiting is any solicitation of a prospective student-athlete or a prospective student-athlete’s relatives (or legal guardians) by an institutional staff member or by a representative of the institution’s athletics interests for the purpose of securing the prospective student-athlete’s enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program.

13.1.1.1 Time Period for Off-Campus Contacts—General Rule. Off-campus recruiting contacts shall not be made with an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) before July 1 following the completion of his or her junior year in high school (July 7 after the junior year in high school in women’s ice hockey and July 15 after the junior year in high school in women’s gymnastics), or the opening day of classes of his or her senior year in high school (as designated by the high school), whichever is earlier. U.S. service academy exceptions to this provision are set forth in Bylaw 13.16.1.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting