Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Gary Haning on early commitments

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:24 pm

CountryBumpkin wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
BAM2 wrote:My daughter being a 2017 has just verbally commited this past weekend. Yes she committed before a single day of high school. Getting the correct information is the key. We started by finding out at least what she might want to do, or study in college. Yes you'll get the, how are they supposed to know. But as a family we went over a lot of majors associated within the type of field. Yes they are young, but you have to start some place. We were asked for her top 10, and out of those ten, which schools allowed them to study the field they were interested in, or is that school a softball school first. This was all started around second year 12's. First year 14's we maybe did one local showcase, but our team in general brings out a lot of coaches just to watch practice, friendlies, and games. I did a lot of research for my daughter on schools, and i became more familiar witht the process. Also Hey Bucket and Friends, that have been through it offer a lot of information also. As a parent, we are able to talk with coaches, about camps and other things, just not about recruiting. So we are able to build a so called relationship, just by saying hi, asking about their trip.etc...Target a camp that is not a cattle call but a smaller elite camp works wonders. Having your dd go up and say thank you for their time leaves a lasting impression, playing well, and knocking the stuffing out of the ball will do that to. We spent our own $ visiting the campuses because we felt that it was important to do, as well as being fortunate enough to be able to so.
I've heard a lot of talk on early commitments, but really never paid to much attention to it. Each family is different, and you'll know when it's the right time and the right fit. For us, it wasn't the softball record of the university, or how amaizning the campus is, or which diploma holds more weight, if it was we would be at school #2. It wasn't about the offer, because they were all the same. A great coach that does fielding out here, is also a friend, and he alawys say's, you know you did the right thing, if your daughter is smiling on the inside.
For us one of the reason's we commited early, was becuase as you meet and get to know these coaches, most of them are amazing people. By doing it early, at least for us the relationship of recruiting has turned into a friendship that my daughter will cherish the rest of her college days. "when she gets there in 4 years"
I think early commiting is not for everyone, but our circumstance is right for us. We are just very blessed and fortunate, that our daughter has the ablilties that coaches are willing to take a committment at such an early stage.
But like we tell her, None of This happens without grades, and staying healthy. Whatever happens between now and then is all up to her, never stop working, stay humble, and have a great attitude.
This is our families personal journey, not right or wrong just what we have gone though. Thank you to all my HB friends and the messages back and forth, it really helped. Thanks to her TravelBall Manager and her Uncle, some of the best softball people out there.
If I can help with any parents that are getting started please feel free to call. I don't have all the answers, but a least my knowlege is geared toward the early recruit.
Chris Kumiyama

Chris,
Although I don't agree with the early verbals as they are now, it is what it is and I wish you and your DD all the best.

I personally made several mistakes getting my DD recruited and most of them were related to me not wanting to accept the reality of the recruiting landscape and what is almost always necessary to accomplish that. I am trying to change that now, but I know that the clock is ticking and time is running out.

I make no excuses, the fault lies with me and my poor decisions. I can't/won't blame "the system".

Congratulations! I hope that our family will be able to say that we are also celebrating the same good news sometime soon.

Jeff Smith aka Fastpitchdad05

Jeff for a parent at the beginning stages of this (2017) would you mind sharing some of the mistakes or regrets?

I would be glad to CB...It'll also be in my tell-all bestseller in a couple years - How not to get your daughter recruited: Confessions of an idiot dad :lol:

So that I don't bore the masses anymore than I have on HB now for years, why don't you go ahead and PM me and I'll help you as best as I can.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 pm

BAM2 wrote:Thanks Jeff,
I thiink by becoming more familiar with the process myself, it was a little less stressful.
Good luck, I also have some information on a certain recruiting site, and about recruiting services in general.
if you would like any info on them give me a call.
You too CountryBumpkin
Chris
562-824-6066

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
BAM2 wrote:My daughter being a 2017 has just verbally commited this past weekend. Yes she committed before a single day of high school. Getting the correct information is the key. We started by finding out at least what she might want to do, or study in college. Yes you'll get the, how are they supposed to know. But as a family we went over a lot of majors associated within the type of field. Yes they are young, but you have to start some place. We were asked for her top 10, and out of those ten, which schools allowed them to study the field they were interested in, or is that school a softball school first. This was all started around second year 12's. First year 14's we maybe did one local showcase, but our team in general brings out a lot of coaches just to watch practice, friendlies, and games. I did a lot of research for my daughter on schools, and i became more familiar witht the process. Also Hey Bucket and Friends, that have been through it offer a lot of information also. As a parent, we are able to talk with coaches, about camps and other things, just not about recruiting. So we are able to build a so called relationship, just by saying hi, asking about their trip.etc...Target a camp that is not a cattle call but a smaller elite camp works wonders. Having your dd go up and say thank you for their time leaves a lasting impression, playing well, and knocking the stuffing out of the ball will do that to. We spent our own $ visiting the campuses because we felt that it was important to do, as well as being fortunate enough to be able to so.
I've heard a lot of talk on early commitments, but really never paid to much attention to it. Each family is different, and you'll know when it's the right time and the right fit. For us, it wasn't the softball record of the university, or how amaizning the campus is, or which diploma holds more weight, if it was we would be at school #2. It wasn't about the offer, because they were all the same. A great coach that does fielding out here, is also a friend, and he alawys say's, you know you did the right thing, if your daughter is smiling on the inside.
For us one of the reason's we commited early, was becuase as you meet and get to know these coaches, most of them are amazing people. By doing it early, at least for us the relationship of recruiting has turned into a friendship that my daughter will cherish the rest of her college days. "when she gets there in 4 years"
I think early commiting is not for everyone, but our circumstance is right for us. We are just very blessed and fortunate, that our daughter has the ablilties that coaches are willing to take a committment at such an early stage.
But like we tell her, None of This happens without grades, and staying healthy. Whatever happens between now and then is all up to her, never stop working, stay humble, and have a great attitude.
This is our families personal journey, not right or wrong just what we have gone though. Thank you to all my HB friends and the messages back and forth, it really helped. Thanks to her TravelBall Manager and her Uncle, some of the best softball people out there.
If I can help with any parents that are getting started please feel free to call. I don't have all the answers, but a least my knowlege is geared toward the early recruit.
Chris Kumiyama

Chris,
Although I don't agree with the early verbals as they are now, it is what it is and I wish you and your DD all the best.

I personally made several mistakes getting my DD recruited and most of them were related to me not wanting to accept the reality of the recruiting landscape and what is almost always necessary to accomplish that. I am trying to change that now, but I know that the clock is ticking and time is running out.

I make no excuses, the fault lies with me and my poor decisions. I can't/won't blame "the system".

Congratulations! I hope that our family will be able to say that we are also celebrating the same good news sometime soon.

Jeff Smith aka Fastpitchdad05

Thanks Chris...I will probably give you a call! :D
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

BAM2 wrote:We were asked for her top 10, and out of those ten, which schools allowed them to study the field they were interested in, or is that school a softball school first. ... For us one of the reason's we commited early, was becuase as you meet and get to know these coaches, most of them are amazing people. By doing it early, at least for us the relationship of recruiting has turned into a friendship that my daughter will cherish the rest of her college days. "when she gets there in 4 years"

Congratulations on your daughter getting the early verbal. She is obviously one of those rare studs that commands the attention of scouts at her age. My comments here are to help put a different perspective on a couple points, for consideration of other families.

You mentioned fields of study. That's great you considered that, but how relevant is it really? Nearly all big-time schools recruiting this early DO put softball first. Coaches may tell you differently now, but your daughter better not have class conflicts. Fortunately, the big-time schools will offer a wide array of majors to choose from ... which is a good thing, because few 13-year olds have a clue what subjects they'll like/excel at in 4-8 years.

You said one of your big reasons for choosing this school was the coaches. That's a fine reason, but be careful. As has been mentioned, there's a lot of coaching turnover. Especially if you're 4-5 years out. Even if everything goes as planned with the NLI, the coaches may leave before she gets there or while she's there. If she went there for the great coaches, things may change if a new coach comes in with their own recruits. Definitely consider the coaching staff when making decisions, but be careful if it's the #1 reason -- especially for these early recruits.
Fredegar

by BAM2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Fredegar,
Getting to know these coaches was meant in a way of the ones you have to say no thank you to, if that makes sense..?
For example #2 school, dd called to say she had chosen talked briefly an then ended her call. I felt like i had to call them after the fact to talk with them. I called two days later, and it was the best thing this parent could've done. We talked about their program, my daughter, and although disappointed they truley wished her the best. Now I consider them friends for the long haul. That's the hard part about recruiting, it's the saying the No Thank you part. The softball stuff is easy, the education part is easy. But telling coaches that are awesome people, you chose to go somewhere else, now that is hard. I think it added to character to my DD these past couple of days in doing so. At 14 she made all her own calls, And very proud of her in handling all of it.

Fredegar wrote:
BAM2 wrote:We were asked for her top 10, and out of those ten, which schools allowed them to study the field they were interested in, or is that school a softball school first. ... For us one of the reason's we commited early, was becuase as you meet and get to know these coaches, most of them are amazing people. By doing it early, at least for us the relationship of recruiting has turned into a friendship that my daughter will cherish the rest of her college days. "when she gets there in 4 years"

Congratulations on your daughter getting the early verbal. She is obviously one of those rare studs that commands the attention of scouts at her age. My comments here are to help put a different perspective on a couple points, for consideration of other families.

You mentioned fields of study. That's great you considered that, but how relevant is it really? Nearly all big-time schools recruiting this early DO put softball first. Coaches may tell you differently now, but your daughter better not have class conflicts. Fortunately, the big-time schools will offer a wide array of majors to choose from ... which is a good thing, because few 13-year olds have a clue what subjects they'll like/excel at in 4-8 years.

You said one of your big reasons for choosing this school was the coaches. That's a fine reason, but be careful. As has been mentioned, there's a lot of coaching turnover. Especially if you're 4-5 years out. Even if everything goes as planned with the NLI, the coaches may leave before she gets there or while she's there. If she went there for the great coaches, things may change if a new coach comes in with their own recruits. Definitely consider the coaching staff when making decisions, but be careful if it's the #1 reason -- especially for these early recruits.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:26 pm

When softball is the #1 priority in College, it seems to me that when "big time" programs say any major that means 4 years of summer school & a 5th year to graduate :o
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

So True,
Talking with the players also help. The schools we visited had Q/A With just the girls. Girls were able to do labs. You have to ask, do you allow for us to study our field. So just not the coaches, but the other players, an the academic adviser. You'll be able to tell what schools allow for your studies. And not necessary on the 5th year for the BS Degree. Girls we talke with, graduated within their 4 ,but with their 5 year scholarship, because they either had college credits from high school, were now working on their next degree.
for
exD1dad wrote:When softball is the #1 priority in College, it seems to me that when "big time" programs say any major that means 4 years of summer school & a 5th year to graduate :o
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Bam2, congratulations. Stay focused. The goal should be a decent degree. Seems like you are already have a resonable perspetive, switching schools would not be the worse case scenario, also changing directions before your freshman year is not the worse thing to go through.

I think another great question for players is: how many of your freshman class made it to your Junior/Senior year with you? This is easily verifiable on robocoach's site.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Mistakes I have made in Softball

The condensed version

I waited too long to get her on a 18 Gold team. Should have made the move at the beginning of her sophmore year, maybe even the summer before.

She went to one camp her freshman year over the summer. Missed the time between Christmas and New Year. By the time we got it in gear the summer between her sophmore and junior year, we were told that we were too late for some of the large public schools we were interested in. Money gone, walk on if you want.

Got comfortable with second rate travel ball programs. See where girls are going from the programs in your area. This should give you an idea of how exposed the team is and if the coaches have any real college contacts that matter.

Daughter wanted to play out of state, travel ball team didn't travel to tournaments in the regions she was interested in. See second rate travel ball team note.

If you feel that your kid is not getting the playing time she should be getting, move on. Many times I carry the loyaty thing too far. Loyalty cuts both way so if it doesn't, don't walk, run.

Every time I thought I had this softball exposure thing figured, I got bit. Don't oversteer or overthink. GET SEEN EARLY AND OFTEN. TARGET THE SCHOOLS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND ATTEND THEIR CAMPS, EMAIL AND CALL THEIR COACHES YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.

Your travel ball coach can only do so much for you and DD, like get in the right tournaments and playing time. The rest is really up to you and your kid

Overpay for a recruiting website. Overpay is a very consistent theme, so get used to it
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by PDad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:01 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:I waited too long to get her on a 18 Gold team. Should have made the move at the beginning of her sophmore year, maybe even the summer before.
Got comfortable with second rate travel ball programs. See where girls are going from the programs in your area. This should give you an idea of how exposed the team is and if the coaches have any real college contacts that matter.

Which is more important - being on an 18G team or a first-rate program? From what I've seen, it's better to be on a first-rate 16U team than a second-rate 18G team...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by chippingaway » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

my eldest dd was an early commit to a decent school. At that time, she was undersized and had just joined a "powerhouse" orgs. She was behind, small and we (her mom and I) were completely ignorant of the process as well as her talent. Six months after she verballed, the prospective college coach was fired. The new coaches stood by their predecessors offer but we were unsure of them and asked for time. So, we requested a couple months to evaluate and consider our options.
my dd had grown quite a bit by then, snd was much stronger, faster and confident than she was when she first verbally accepted the offer. the next few months were a recruiting whirlwind. She (we), went on several visits and entertained many offers, finally settled on a top program and education.

..what I learned
1 do not concern yourself with what the other kids(or parents) are doing, saying and when.
2. don't rush out of desperation or fear of your daughter being passed up
3. listen to your dd, but know she is feeling peer pressure and will want to keep up with her teammates. you must continue to parent her, resisting the urge to give in to extraneous pressure
4. when it's right, it's right - you will know it, she will know it
5. until you all have peace , wait

my dd. now it's in her second year of college, loving it and very thankful for her journey and choice

***type d on cell.
chippingaway
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting