Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Gary Haning on early commitments

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 pm

PDad wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:I waited too long to get her on a 18 Gold team. Should have made the move at the beginning of her sophmore year, maybe even the summer before.
Got comfortable with second rate travel ball programs. See where girls are going from the programs in your area. This should give you an idea of how exposed the team is and if the coaches have any real college contacts that matter.

Which is more important - being on an 18G team or a first-rate program? From what I've seen, it's better to be on a first-rate 16U team than a second-rate 18G team...

You're asking me? Darned if I know. Just a couple of years ago 16U was something to blow thru getting to 18U Gold. I understand that has changed quite a bit. Do your homework, I guess
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by DonnieS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
PDad wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:I waited too long to get her on a 18 Gold team. Should have made the move at the beginning of her sophmore year, maybe even the summer before.
Got comfortable with second rate travel ball programs. See where girls are going from the programs in your area. This should give you an idea of how exposed the team is and if the coaches have any real college contacts that matter.

Which is more important - being on an 18G team or a first-rate program? From what I've seen, it's better to be on a first-rate 16U team than a second-rate 18G team...

You're asking me? Darned if I know. Just a couple of years ago 16U was something to blow thru getting to 18U Gold. I understand that has changed quite a bit. Do your homework, I guess

That's my thought - until I thought back to the tournament that my girls were actually recruited or started being recruited out of - and it was 16u. We were , like you said, hurrying to get to 18G, but it was 16u where it happened. However both my girls verballed in the December/January of their junior year, no early verbals here.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cuzmail » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:48 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:So that I don't bore the masses anymore than I have on HB now for years, why don't you go ahead and PM me and I'll help you as best as I can.

Please by all means, bore the masses. There is surely something for everyone in your experience.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by PDad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
PDad wrote:

I was just curious which you thought was more important because your opinion is based on what happens in Texas and therefore may differ from what I've seen in SoCal.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Ok, I'll bite.

I recall being disappointed by the talent at 16U when my DD transitioned thru from 14U.

The competition was pretty weak and I didn't feel that she was being pushed. As a freshman at 15 the 16U team she was on folded late in the spring, but the coach did the girls a solid and got them all placed in an 18U gold program that kept them busy that summer. And there we stayed at 18U.

At the time, I thought we would skip the craziness of 18U until her sophomore year. The next year (2 years ago) I began to hear how much 16U was being recruited but we were already past that point.

To answer your question, in hindsight I would go with the quality program with the understanding that quality fits whatever your needs are. A good blend of specific school camps, recommended recruiting camps and exposure tournaments is the way I would go. 18U Gold in and of itself doesn't mean much. We have 8U programs here calling themselves "gold"
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by basher1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I agree with Gary on this one. While we are at it we should also discuss the corruption, favoritism, cronyism, daddy-ballism, etc., etc. that has infiltrated the sport as everyone scrambles to get their daughter that beloved scholarship. My daughter was being recruited by D1 schools as a 14 year old but she just retired from the sport this last summer (as a 15 year old) because she simply grew tired of all of the crap that surrounds the sport that just soaks the fun right out of it. How can we ask our kids to commit to a sport for the next 7-8 years when they are not enjoying it? Don't get me started on High School ball.....I went to go see some friends at a tournament this summer (after mine announced her retirement) and I swear to you well over half the girls look like they are simply going through the motions. We HAVE to get back to making the sport fun for the girls otherwise it will not be fun for anyone.
basher1
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm

basher1 wrote:I agree with Gary on this one. While we are at it we should also discuss the corruption, favoritism, cronyism, daddy-ballism, etc., etc. that has infiltrated the sport as everyone scrambles to get their daughter that beloved scholarship. My daughter was being recruited by D1 schools as a 14 year old but she just retired from the sport this last summer (as a 15 year old) because she simply grew tired of all of the crap that surrounds the sport that just soaks the fun right out of it. How can we ask our kids to commit to a sport for the next 7-8 years when they are not enjoying it? Don't get me started on High School ball.....I went to go see some friends at a tournament this summer (after mine announced her retirement) and I swear to you well over half the girls look like they are simply going through the motions. We HAVE to get back to making the sport fun for the girls otherwise it will not be fun for anyone.

Amen, brother...Amen!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Gary has contributed another article - Dads, love your little girls
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

If you want to see kids playing for the love of the game, follow the Ivy League.

No scholarships, brutal academics, practice and weight room every day.

That's passion for the game.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by ontheblack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 pm

PDad wrote:Gary has contributed another article - Dads, love your little girls

Reading that made me smile
ontheblack

Previous

Return to College Recruiting