Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting question regarding coaches contact

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:41 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:jr?...SR?...your SOL according to the world,,,
I think their after 2020s now...ridiculous

I know Pale Rider, I know (shakes head...).

I won't give up on her, though. She's too good and deserves better IMO.

I'm teasing, I have one in same boat...which is fine, the world will turn...regardless...didn't know you were supposed to start emailing coaches when they went to big drawers vs pull-ups...talked with a PAC 12 coach about an hr today...said the rage of early commits was ludicrous at best...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:jr?...SR?...your SOL according to the world,,,
I think their after 2020s now...ridiculous

I know Pale Rider, I know (shakes head...).

I won't give up on her, though. She's too good and deserves better IMO.

I'm teasing, I have one in same boat...which is fine, the world will turn...regardless...didn't know you were supposed to start emailing coaches when they went to big drawers vs pull-ups...talked with a PAC 12 coach about an hr today...said the rage of early commits was ludicrous at best...

PR - I knew you were teasing. I was just lamenting the reality...

Thanks
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm

coachEd wrote:
Luther wrote:Here is the response my DD got from a large D1.

Unfortunately, because of NCAA regulations we are prohibited from initiating any contact with you or responding to emails and phone calls. After September 1st of your Junior year, we can communicate with you via email and after July 1st before your Senior year, we are able to initiate contact with you via phone calls. Please visit the NCAA Eligibility Center for more recruiting guidelines or initial eligibility information for high school prospects.

This is generally the canned response you get from coaches when the player sends an email to the coach. The reply usually includes this, plus an invitation to the school's softball camp on campus.

My general understanding is that the player can initiate contact all they want; its the coaches at the schools that are limited in their responses. Some schools, instead of replying to the player directly, will contact the player's travel ball coach saying they are interested in so-and-so and will ask for more information or will invite the player to come on campus through the travel coach. Once the player is on campus, it is free reign to talk to the coaches (except during NCAA "dark" periods). I recently visited a school in Texas while on business on that campus, so I took the time to go over and talk to the softball coaches. It was a very good experience, and the coaches told us we could call them (they are allowed to talk to the player if the player initiates the phone call), or to keep them updated on game schedule by email, but that they were just not allowed to respond to the email (they also told us what to include in the email header so they would pick up on that particular player's email among the thousands of emails that they get). All of this is prior to the Junior year noted above.

Thanks CoachEd - I appreciate the contribution to the discussion!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to College Recruiting