Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting question regarding coaches contact

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Someone told me because my DD started her Junior year that as of Sunday, Sept 1st coaches can now reply to emails she sends.

I found this online:

Junior Year of High School
September 1st:
Recruiting letters, emails, instant messages, text messages and information about the athletic program may be sent to prospects. No phone calls can be made unless the junior prospect calls and the coach cannot return the phone call.

Does this confirm what I was told? Can anyone verify or add to what I found?

Thanks
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Luther » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Here is the response my DD got from a large D1.

Unfortunately, because of NCAA regulations we are prohibited from initiating any contact with you or responding to emails and phone calls. After September 1st of your Junior year, we can communicate with you via email and after July 1st before your Senior year, we are able to initiate contact with you via phone calls. Please visit the NCAA Eligibility Center for more recruiting guidelines or initial eligibility information for high school prospects.
Luther

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Luther wrote:Here is the response my DD got from a large D1.

Unfortunately, because of NCAA regulations we are prohibited from initiating any contact with you or responding to emails and phone calls. After September 1st of your Junior year, we can communicate with you via email and after July 1st before your Senior year, we are able to initiate contact with you via phone calls. Please visit the NCAA Eligibility Center for more recruiting guidelines or initial eligibility information for high school prospects.

Luther, thanks very much. That pretty much spells it out for me.

Regards,
Jeff (FPDad05)
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Questions are you best bet. Starting with, "Coach, is now a good time for me to ask a question?"

NCAA has routinely ruled on the side of allowing parents/recruits to ask questions. The process is meant to limit the burden coaches may place on candidates by calling/contacting them. It was never to limit the amount of information a potential student or their family receives.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Questions are you best bet. Starting with, "Coach, is now a good time for me to ask a question?"

NCAA has routinely ruled on the side of allowing parents/recruits to ask questions. The process is meant to limit the burden coaches may place on candidates by calling/contacting them. It was never to limit the amount of information a potential student or their family receives.

Thanks AI...so it's okay for me to contact the coach by email and ask questions? If so do you think it would be okay to ask (for instance) if they are still actively seeking a 2015 3B/1B so that we don't waste time?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes, fastpitchdad ! Have her do it, if you can. You greatly increase the odds of getting a response with a question.
It did wonders for my dd. Her e-mails look nothing like mine, and she would get responses. She would have a dialogue.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Safebyahare wrote:Yes, fastpitchdad ! Have her do it, if you can. You greatly increase the odds of getting a response with a question.
It did wonders for my dd. Her e-mails look nothing like mine, and she would get responses. She would have a dialogue.

Thanks Hare, I will definitely take that advice...that makes sense!

Sorry for bolting out without talking much or saying goodbye when I saw you recently. DD was having an allergic reaction which caused her hands to swell and her throat to close up and so she unfortunately didn't get to finish the tryout and we hightailed it home.

Hope your DD is doing well at her new digs. I know from firsthand observation that she's going to kick butt for her team. :)
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm

jr?...SR?...your SOL according to the world,,,
I think their after 2020s now...ridiculous
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 am

Pale Rider wrote:jr?...SR?...your SOL according to the world,,,
I think their after 2020s now...ridiculous

I know Pale Rider, I know (shakes head...).

I won't give up on her, though. She's too good and deserves better IMO.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachEd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Luther wrote:Here is the response my DD got from a large D1.

This is generally the canned response you get from coaches when the player sends an email to the coach. The reply usually includes this, plus an invitation to the school's softball camp on campus.

My general understanding is that the player can initiate contact all they want; its the coaches at the schools that are limited in their responses. Some schools, instead of replying to the player directly, will contact the player's travel ball coach saying they are interested in so-and-so and will ask for more information or will invite the player to come on campus through the travel coach. Once the player is on campus, it is free reign to talk to the coaches (except during NCAA "dark" periods). I recently visited a school in Texas while on business on that campus, so I took the time to go over and talk to the softball coaches. It was a very good experience, and the coaches told us we could call them (they are allowed to talk to the player if the player initiates the phone call), or to keep them updated on game schedule by email, but that they were just not allowed to respond to the email (they also told us what to include in the email header so they would pick up on that particular player's email among the thousands of emails that they get). All of this is prior to the Junior year noted above.
coachEd

Next

Return to College Recruiting