Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Coaching changes and committed players

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Lunatic Fringe » Mon May 19, 2014 8:35 am

All the talk around practice yesterday was about college coaches who have left and the kids who verballed and are now left where exactly? Heard some stuff that seemed like mis information and thought I'd drag the topic over to the bucket as surely there are people who have something to add from experience.

I do know of a volleyball player at my DD high school who signed a NLI with McNeese State who was able to get her release with some difficulty after the coach left. Keep in mind that this girl is a graduating senior this spring and had signed the NLI in the fall before the coach left the program.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by Michele@PowerLine » Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 pm

In my experience, taking over a program and the NLI signed incoming freshman is a matter of negotiation. If that happens to you, I would advise contacting the school as soon as possible. Once they hire a new coach, contact them as quickly as possible as well. Players asking for a release of their NLI is common, but both parties must agree to the release. If you are still wanting to attend that school, your signed NLI is a written agreement between you and that school for one year. That means your scholarship is guaranteed for that year, whether the new coach wants to keep you on their roster or not.

A verbal is just that. There is nothing binding between either party. Talking to the athletic administration, in the case of a verbal commitment, will not get you far. You could wait to see who the new coach is and feel out their interest in you, but the negotiation for scholarship money would be starting at ground zero. You may want to open yourself up to other options until you have a firm agreement with the new staff.

Good luck!
Michele@PowerLine

by PDad » Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:All the talk around practice yesterday was about college coaches who have left and the kids who verballed and are now left where exactly?

Limbo if they really want to go to that school. Unless the coach left to take a job at another school (e.g. Clint Myers last year) and wants to take the player with them, they should get back in the market.

I heard about a school that contacted verballed players to see if they still wanted to come, which led the players to believe they still had a deal. The new coach came in end of the summer and said no deal to girls that were seniors.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue May 20, 2014 3:59 am

As early verbals continue to happen more often(and earlier) will coaches leaving pre nli become a bigger issue?

I was not able to find on the web, but how long does the average sb coach stay at a particular school?
jonriv

by PDad » Tue May 20, 2014 2:50 pm

jonriv wrote:As early verbals continue to happen more often(and earlier) will coaches leaving pre nli become a bigger issue?
In case this wasn't rhetorical, yes.

I was not able to find on the web, but how long does the average sb coach stay at a particular school?

Longer than a bad coach and shorter than a great coach...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed May 21, 2014 2:35 am

From dd's recruiting experiece( she's a rising college senior). 30 % of the coaches she interviewed with are gone. 40% she had contact with are gone. Three left in the middle of the process

Not a scientific sample, but a sample never the less. Dd started her real contacts summer before junior year( late by current standards)
jonriv

Return to College Recruiting