Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Fall Recruiting -

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by SouthPaw_Dad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi All -

My daughter is in 10th grade graduating in 2018, she is NOT a position player. With that being said I was under the impression that this might be a very important time in the recruiting process for her. I however came across (2) articles that say different.

The first was written by Catharine Aradi http://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com "This is fall ball. That means colleges are in session. Many have fall (or non-traditional) seasons during which they practice and play–e.g., scrimmages, round robins, double headers or tournaments. Once again…when does all this college fall ball take place? In the fall! That means from late August or early Sept. to early November, many coaches are busy coaching their teams.

The second was taken from an article I found in the OC Register titled (Assistant coaches are the first line of recruiting). "The summer scouting period, particularly in July, is the biggest time-crunch, said Titan softball assistant coach Jorge Araujo. Dozens of tournaments around the country showcase the most talented club players for college coaches. “It’s a grind being out there,” Araujo said. “Sometimes these showcases have so many kids out there they all start blending into one. We definitely still enjoy it, but it definitely gets tiring.”

These articles make me now believe summer is more important that fall for recruiting. Is this the case or am I taking them out of context?
SouthPaw_Dad
"If it ain't Left - It ain't Right"
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by girlerl » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:10 pm

I would say both are correct. With that being said, Both my girls were seen and recruited in the Fall.
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." -- Rogers Hornsby, two-time National League MVP and 1926 World Series Champion
girlerl

by tbjd33 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 am

SouthPaw_Dad wrote:Hi All -

My daughter is in 10th grade graduating in 2018, she is NOT a position player. With that being said I was under the impression that this might be a very important time in the recruiting process for her. I however came across (2) articles that say different.

The first was written by Catharine Aradi http://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com "This is fall ball. That means colleges are in session. Many have fall (or non-traditional) seasons during which they practice and play–e.g., scrimmages, round robins, double headers or tournaments. Once again…when does all this college fall ball take place? In the fall! That means from late August or early Sept. to early November, many coaches are busy coaching their teams.

The second was taken from an article I found in the OC Register titled (Assistant coaches are the first line of recruiting). "The summer scouting period, particularly in July, is the biggest time-crunch, said Titan softball assistant coach Jorge Araujo. Dozens of tournaments around the country showcase the most talented club players for college coaches. “It’s a grind being out there,” Araujo said. “Sometimes these showcases have so many kids out there they all start blending into one. We definitely still enjoy it, but it definitely gets tiring.”

These articles make me now believe summer is more important that fall for recruiting. Is this the case or am I taking them out of context?

They are coaching their teams. They are also running fall/winter camps and attending select showcase events. Depending where you are they are out in full force. Remember Coaches are master planners and will go where the talent is.

Most DD's get out on the map in the fall... Then come summer coaches dust off those maps and look for those very same girls. Definable the out the work in during the fall if your DD aspires to play in college.

That's the climate and also feel Ardi is two years behind.
tbjd33

by SouthPaw_Dad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Thank you all for your response! I appreciate the insight -
Last edited by SouthPaw_Dad on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthPaw_Dad
"If it ain't Left - It ain't Right"
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cannonball » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:51 pm

While college coaches are coaching their teams in the fall, this is also a prime time when potential recruits visit campuses. Many schools participate in reverse exposure tournaments where recruits and any player interested in a college can go watch the team play in the fall with other teams/recruits also at one site. I just watched a reverse exposure with 20 teams playing. They ranged from JUCO, D-II, DIII to NAIA. There were many HS players there watching.

In the late fall, here in St. Louis, there is a big exposure tournament and there will be a couple of hundred coaches there.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

Return to College Recruiting