Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

2020 recruited

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by swells9232 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:59 pm

swells9232

by B34R DOWN » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Full ride too! I wonder what the coaches will say in 2020 when she shows up...
B34R DOWN

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:10 pm

swells9232 wrote:http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/12/03/carmel-softball-phenom-13-snags-full-ride-division-college/76573558/

Thoughts?

My thought is that this girl's family is taking a huge risk that is absolutely unnecessary. There's about a .01% chance that she will be the same person with the same desires by the time she walks onto a college campus as a freshman.

Of course we've debated this subject on HB extensively already.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 pm

The thing that caught my attention was not the 2020 recruit, because lets face it, 8th grade commitments are not rare anymore, though they should be. Instead this line caught my attention and concern, "Off the field, Stormy was getting intense training, learning proper technique from special coaches, learning fundamentals. By 11, she had started Crossfit training to gain strength."

Should it be a job at 9 and 10? I get girls that really wanted to go and train outside of the season of sport, but I pushed my DD off of crossfit and strength training until later and she turned out just fine. If you limit how much they lift trying not to damage their "growth plate" should they really be doing that much that early?

Different twist on living vicariously through your kids. Don't know family and not trying to judge, but goes against all the advice I give to families.

Finally, my DD's desires in the 8th grade are no where near where they are today as far as college is concerned.
swells9232

by PDad » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 am

The basketball aspect is interesting. My first thought was wondering how that was going to work since the seasons overlap. Then I recalled BBall players that also play another sport have to be counted against the BBall limit. It appears to me the BBall program would be providing the full-ride for at least the first year.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:45 pm

She seems to be peaking early.
5 years away is an eternity.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by rbi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 am

First off I hope the kid has a great experience wherever she ends up, and receives a education she can use in this crazy world we live in.

With that being said, i am a big advocate for finding a quality trainer (NOT cross fit), to get kids into softball shape, starting in the 8th grade.. I see way too many kids that look unhealthy and in danger of injury every time they play. AM i talking about heavy lifting, hell no, talking about a well structured age specific softball training program, run by someone who is not the local football weight coach or the corner cross fit tractor tire place but, someone who has experience with female softball players.. I think it does so many positive things for kids, too many to mention…..

Just curious, what are we "signing" at 13yrs old, a multi sport athlete agreement with a Univ, so confused?

If i had a dime for every 2.6 kid i hear or read about, i would be a gaziliionaire….. Its funny how those 2.6 kids transform into 2.95's overnight with proper testing...
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:05 am

as the world turns wrote:She seems to be peaking early.
5 years away is an eternity.

Yes, and Yes.

And the "she can also play basketball" 'promise' is laughable. The facts that dad was excited about that, and seemingly made this decision based upon that, proves that he has no idea what he's done. She won't touch the basketball team at UW. Sounds like a great kid, too bad she didn't take (or wait for) an offer from an Ivy, Stanford, Northwestern, or Notre Dame.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by afastpitchfanatic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm

What got my attention is that the scholarship amount was disclosed. I thought that was a no-no, but maybe it's each coach's choice as to what they advise their recruit to do. Anyone know for sure if it's a rule or just a coaches' preference?

It made me wonder if that was a possible slip by Stormy in the interview process, based on inexperience of talking to a sports reporter, OR if the words Full Ride were freely offered up by the parents?

(Congratulations to Stormy and her family!! Awesome accomplishment!!)
afastpitchfanatic

by as the world turns » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:51 pm

rbi wrote: Its funny how those 2.6 kids transform into 2.95's overnight with proper testing...

Estrogen has a way to change that too
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

Next

Return to College Recruiting