Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Ivy League Commitments

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by BB2830 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 am

I have seen a number of players in the class of 2018 with commitments to Ivy League schools. The Ivy's don't offer athletic scholarships so my understanding is you are not committed to an Ivy until you are admitted. This doesn't happen until the summer after Junior year with early admission or more typically Fall of Senior year. Are the rules different than this?
BB2830

by jonriv » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 am

No they are not, but why let the rules get in a coach's/organization's publicity :o
jonriv

by jmo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 am

BB2830 wrote:I have seen a number of players in the class of 2018 with commitments to Ivy League schools. The Ivy's don't offer athletic scholarships so my understanding is you are not committed to an Ivy until you are admitted. This doesn't happen until the summer after Junior year with early admission or more typically Fall of Senior year. Are the rules different than this?

All verbal commitments are subject to the player getting accepted.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB2830 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:37 am

Yes, get that, but there is no such thing as a verbal commitment with the Ivy's so strange to see underclasswomen as committed, not just posted here but listed on Flo Softball and elsewhere. Inaccurate at a minimum.
BB2830

by Mark H » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:48 pm

There's no such thing as a verbal commitment anywhere. It's all just talk till the paperwork happens.
Mark H

by PDad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

BB2830 wrote:Yes, get that, but there is no such thing as a verbal commitment with the Ivy's so strange to see underclasswomen as committed, not just posted here but listed on Flo Softball and elsewhere. Inaccurate at a minimum.

You seem to have a narrow view of verbals that is limited to when athletic money being involved. If so, I expect you also believe verbals don't exist for recruited walk-ons and D3. I agree some coaches aren't offering anything with a verbal, however you need to look beyond just athletic money.

Which of the following verbal offers is more substantial?
- Money for books at a mediocre state school where acceptance is not an issue.
- No money at a highly-selective school where acceptance is a long shot without the coach's help.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 am

To clarify... The Ivy's don't offer athletic money but they do hold a roster spot and it absolutely raises the possibility of acceptance. I'm sure it is different for each DD, but first hand I can say help with obtaining money/aid is definitely easier to come by for softball/sport candidates.

The Ivy's aren't immune for the need to win(ever been in a room full of Ivy Leaguers? Competitive isn't the word... It's Hypercompetitive!). I know a handful of DD's headed to Ivy's and were extremely thankful for softball cause their 28 on the ACT wouldn't have made the threshold of the decision room without softball. Might have ended up at a mid level state school.

Just sayin...
tbjd33

by Mark H » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:27 am

Yes, you can use athletics to help pay for college, to get into a college you couldn't otherwise get into, to add to the college experience or a combination thereof. All are very legitimate. As to Ivy verbals, to the extent they mean anything anywhere, of course there are Ivy verbals. Like anywhere, they are contingent on acceptance which is contingent on Susie continuing to do her part academically.
Mark H

by jonriv » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:03 am

Mark H wrote:Yes, you can use athletics to help pay for college, to get into a college you couldn't otherwise get into, to add to the college experience or a combination thereof. All are very legitimate. As to Ivy verbals, to the extent they mean anything anywhere, of course there are Ivy verbals. Like anywhere, they are contingent on acceptance which is contingent on Susie continuing to do her part academically.

Sports can help you get into an Ivy( the academic "box" is a little bigger for athletes) however they will not help you pay for it. Not only do Ivies not offer athletic scholarships- there are also no academic scholarships either. All aid and grants are needs based only. That is an Ivy League rule
jonriv

by Mark H » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:30 pm

I think that's well known but I may be assuming too much. Its good to make it very clear.
Mark H

Next

Return to College Recruiting