Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

College Camp during Quiet Period

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by PairOfAces » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 pm

I have looked everywhere I can think of on the web looking to have this explained, with no success.

How can a coach attend a camp that is held on a college campus, most of whom it is not their campus, during the quiet period of December? Are the rules different when a coach is working a camp? If they are instructing at the camp, does the NCAA not consider this recruiting? Are the coaches not allowed to "recruit" at a camp? Could a coach talk to a parent about the school during a camp?

Thanks for any answers, or direction to the answers, that anyone can provide.

PoA
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:14 pm

PairOfAces wrote:I have looked everywhere I can think of on the web looking to have this explained, with no success.

Did you look in the NCAA manual for that division? You can download them for free - https://www.ncaapublications.com/s-13-Manuals.aspx.

Need more info:
- Is this D1? Assuming it is...
- Is this an institutional camp or a private one?
- Website link for camp?

D1 has exception for sports camps and clinics:

13.12.1 Institution’s Sports Camps and Clinics.
13.12.1.1 Definition.
An institution’s sports camp or instructional clinic shall be any camp or clinic that is owned or operated by a member institution or an employee of the member institution’s athletics department, either on or off its campus, and in which prospective student-athletes participate. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01)
13.12.1.5 Recruiting Calendar Exceptions. The interaction during sports camps and clinics between prospective student-athletes and those coaches employed by the camp or clinic is not subject to the recruiting calendar restrictions. However, an institutional staff member employed at any camp or clinic (e.g., counselor, director) is prohibited from recruiting any prospective student-athlete during the time period that the camp or clinic is conducted (from the time the prospective student-athlete reports to the camp or clinic until the conclusion of all camp activities). The prohibition against recruiting includes extending written offers of financial aid to any prospective student-athlete during his or her attendance at the camp or clinic (see Bylaw 13.9.2.2), but does not include recruiting conversations between the certifying institution’s coach and a participating prospective student-athlete during the institution’s camps or clinics. Other coaches wishing to attend the camp as observers must comply with appropriate recruiting contact and evaluation periods. In addition, institutional camps or clinics may not be conducted during a dead period. (Revised: 4/3/02, 4/26/12)
13.12.1.5.1 Exception—Recruiting Conversations—Lacrosse. ...
13.12.1.5.2 Campus Tours During Institutional Camps or Clinics—Sports Other Than Women’s Basketball. In sports other than women’s basketball, an institution’s coach may arrange and conduct a campus tour during the institution’s camp or clinic, provided the format of the tour has been approved by an institutional authority outside the athletics department (e.g., admissions office). (Adopted: 7/23/15, Revised: 4/26/17, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17)

D1 bylaw for non-institutional softball camps changed this year:

13.12.2.3.6 Noninstitutional, Privately Owned Camps/Clinics—Softball. In softball, an institution’s coach or noncoaching staff member with responsibilities specific to softball may be employed (either on a salaried or volunteer basis) in any capacity (e.g., counselor, guest lecturer, consultant) in a noninstitutional, privately owned camp or clinic, provided the camp or clinic is operated in accordance with restrictions applicable to an institutional camp or clinic (e.g., open to any and all entrants, no free or reduced admission to or employment of athletics award winners). Employment in such a camp or clinic is limited to periods when evaluation at nonscholastic practice or competition activities is permissible. During periods in which it is not permissible to evaluate at nonscholastic practice or competition activities, an institution’s coach or noncoaching staff member with responsibilities specific to softball may be employed (either on a salaried or volunteer basis) only at institutional (his or her own or another institution’s) camps or clinics that occur on any institution’s campus or at a facility regularly used by the institution for practice or competition. [D] (Adopted: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:37 pm

This is the camp. Most of the colleges are D1 but some are D2 and maybe other. Private camp held at an institution.

http://www.championshipsoftballcamps.co ... -camps.cfm

I'm not expecting any offers, etc as my DD is a 2021, but wondering how much interaction with, and access to, the coaches she can have, such as getting to talk to them about their programs, are they recruiting her grad year, etc. I think you provided great information, although I may have to hire an attorney to decipher some of it! :lol:

Thanks!
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm

PairOfAces wrote:This is the camp. Most of the colleges are D1 but some are D2 and maybe other. Private camp held at an institution.

From linked page: "Our camp staff also features head and assistant coaches from many other Division I, Division II, Division 3, NAIA and Junior Colleges." There's a list of known schools further down.

Looks like it is an institutional camp since it is operated by TT coaches, regardless of whether they have an ownership stake or not.

3.12.1.1 Definition. An institution’s sports camp or instructional clinic shall be any camp or clinic that is owned or operated by a member institution or an employee of the member institution’s athletics department, either on or off its campus, and in which prospective student-athletes participate.

From linked page: "This camp is operated by the softball coaches of Tennessee Tech. Although, the camp may be held on the campus of Tennessee Tech, it is not owned nor operated by the university. This camp is open to any and all applicants ages 8 through High School Senior."

From home page: "Championship Softball Camps is an independent softball camp run by the coaches of Tennessee Tech."
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting