by Iluvblue » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 am
Tough question depending on EXACTLY what the thoughts of the coach are in regards to the player. If you have no chance of bringing that player back, you should just tell that kid immediately, and not even let tryout take place. After all, you have watched the kid in game situations for a season, what more can you learn from a 2 hour workout?
But if the kid is on the bubble, I dont think there is anything to say before a tryout.
For me specifically, I have no problems with a player going to a tryout, but Im probably replacing that kid. If they are looking at other teams, they are not happy with me, so lets just end the charade now.
Here is the way I personally handle things on MY team. Our Fall season ended on a Sunday, I tell ALL kids that if they plan on returning to MY team I need an email confirmation from them by Tuesday. If I dont hear from them, Im assuming they are not returning, and I am looking to fill their roster spot.
If the kid stated they wanted to return and I did not want them back, I would then tell them immediately after I got their email, although this happens rarely. This is for MY specific teams Im coaching, not younger Monarch teams, as this was not the case with our 14u team this Fall.
BUt your point about you be loyal to me, but im not loyal to you is a GREAT point. As a coach, you dont get the freedom to replace a kid if you want, but not give the kids that same freedom.
All of that giberish that I just wrote above though, throw that shit out the window, because that is how I do things, that is not how the softball word works. It is a nasty world out there, and you better ALWAYS be looking out for your kid, because most teams will drop your ass in a heartbeat if a better players comes around... just remember that FACT!!!!!!!
This is a GREAT question, and one in which I feel most people dont really think about when selecting teams. I had 4 kids leave us between Summer and Fall from the 14,16, and 18u team(combined)on their choice. 2 of those 4 were calling back as soon as this past Fall season ended, but I had no room to bring them back........ so just remember that when you do decide to go to other tryouts. Think long and hard about making the decision to switch teams before you do it.