New competion, same 'ol chit?

Moore league had a razzle
dazzle last season.
#1 Wilson beat out
Milliken & Lakewood.
This season should
be a battle after the
2 were dethroned.

Lakewood had won 65 League games in a row before they had to step down last year.
crankshaft

by Schmick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 am

There's Norco and then there's everybody else.
D1 champs are all that matters and Norco has been to the title game the last 2 seasons, winning it last season.
Until they're knocked off, they're the big dogs or cats or whatever
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am

Schmick wrote:There's Norco and then there's everybody else.
D1 champs are all that matters and Norco has been to the title game the last 2 seasons, winning it last season.

Any close contending rivals there?
Or are they just the stacked team in that League?
Like Los al.

Havent followed High School too much. Just know about Moore league cuz my friends daughters participate in it.
crankshaft

by Chin Music » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Same parents mesmerized by PGF. It’s just another self proclaimed National tourney.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm

crankshaft wrote:
Schmick wrote:There's Norco and then there's everybody else.

Any close contending rivals there?
Or are they just the stacked team in that League?
Like Los al.

Havent followed High School too much. Just know about Moore league cuz my friends daughters participate in it.

Santiago and King have been the tougher rivals in league. Roosevelt is hoping to join the Big 8 arms race by hiring Brashear and Smith to coach their program.
I think it was King that hired a new coach last year and rode the wave all the way to the D2 title game. They had something like 10 D1 commits on their roster last year and still couldn't knock Norco off the top step.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Big VIII is the toughest league in the universe. Robinson at Norco has taken the Santiago (Perez) approach of sapping up as much pitching talent as possible for the sole purpose of keeping them away from the other schools. Then he pitches one kid for the year and the other pitchers throw BP. Perez did this for years and both teams are successful in their efforts to recruit idiot parents who watch 30 ball games with their kid never seeing the field.

I coached in that league for 4 years. King is always good. Roosevelt will get better, Centennial is improving. Corona won't be good again any time soon.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

Sam u funny! The perception people invent from the outside looking in is entertaining. My kids played for Perez between the 2 of them for 7 years. He would ask me to pitch batting practice on occasion and help at practice. I was not on his coaching staff.
In the 7 years, I knew of one kid that didn’t live in Corona and go through CGSA (Corona rec). That kid was a stud pitcher that Uno knows. Was she recruited? Ya kinda. Her pitching coach contacted Perez and I’m sure he helped with the process. Maybe the parents recognized her talents and wanted her to continue to get better with playing with better players in a proven program. Kinda sound like travel?
The comment that he recruited girls to sit on the bench so they wouldn’t play somewhere else is a Sammy tale. I coached or did lessons with about 80% of those kids at that time and that’s not true. BTW I was never a big fan of him or his on field behavior towards other teams. My kids both have rings and enjoyed their experience playing for him.
Norco will dominate again. Santiago has new untested leadership this year. Been waiting for Roosevelt to make a move up. Centennial has gotten better. Corona will be the cellar dweller.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am

Chin Music wrote:Sam u funny! The perception people invent from the outside looking in is entertaining. My kids played for Perez between the 2 of them for 7 years. He would ask me to pitch batting practice on occasion and help at practice. I was not on his coaching staff.
In the 7 years, I knew of one kid that didn’t live in Corona and go through CGSA (Corona rec). That kid was a stud pitcher that Uno knows. Was she recruited? Ya kinda. Her pitching coach contacted Perez and I’m sure he helped with the process. Maybe the parents recognized her talents and wanted her to continue to get better with playing with better players in a proven program. Kinda sound like travel?
The comment that he recruited girls to sit on the bench so they wouldn’t play somewhere else is a Sammy tale. I coached or did lessons with about 80% of those kids at that time and that’s not true. BTW I was never a big fan of him or his on field behavior towards other teams. My kids both have rings and enjoyed their experience playing for him.
Norco will dominate again. Santiago has new untested leadership this year. Been waiting for Roosevelt to make a move up. Centennial has gotten better. Corona will be the cellar dweller.

I guess the fact that I've heard both John and Rick talk about it is irrelevant. John recruited kids who lived in Corona HS's area routinely. He tried recruiting my kid from going to Norco. So we'll agree to disagree on that. Both these guys recruited kids when it wasn't legal.

Perez is a pretty good game coach. Rick.....not so much. Talented players overcome a ton of coaching mistakes.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Everybody trys to get
talent to come there way.
Not everybody gives a hoot
about high school the
way some do.
crankshaft

by eclipse09 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm

What about private schools? Don't they offer assistance and reach out to grab athletes?
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA