Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Do you allow your athlete to play other sports?

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am

Question of the day:

Do you allow your athlete to play other sports?

Fastpitch is life :D
But does your player play other sports? Competitively or just for fun? Organized or pick up games?
Do you feel there is a risk to injuries not endemic in softball?
Is there a risk to overuse injuries if your athlete only plays softball?

Personally, I had my player alternate between softball and basketball between 8u-14u, but now she focuses only on Softball as a sport. I felt this made her well rounded physically, but of course there were those freak accident injuries like jammed fingers from rebounds, and sprained ankles from changing directions too quickly. Sometimes those basketball injury recoveries interfered with the softball team and pitching lessons :roll: :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm

She started out racing bikes at age 4 but quit at age 6
She played baseball, did gymnastics and then did cheer from 5 until age 8. At age 8 she switched from baseball to softball. At age 11 she stopped doing cheer and gymnastics. Been just softball the last couple years
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Two kids and both played SB and soccer. One quit soccer before she was 12 because she hated running. The other kid played soccer and field hockey for a few years and enjoyed both but ended up focusing on just softball. One is playing softball in college and the other doesn't plan on it. You can guess which one is which.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 pm

So glad none of my kids wanted to play soccer, I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out with ground up, infected, used douchebags than sit through 2 minutes of soccer
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Schmick wrote:So glad none of my kids wanted to play soccer, I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out with ground up, infected, used douchebags than sit through 2 minutes of soccer

You lucked out. It was not fun, but they liked it for a little bit so I went along for the not so fun ride.... :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sparky Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 am

Parents used ask about it all the time and I would tell them to stay away from basketball for girls. I've seen so many girls lose softball seasons because of torn ACL's from basketball I've lost count.

The other thing I hate about basketball is it interferes with winter workouts. It's almost impossible to field a full team for practices during basketball season.
Sparky Guy

by eddiez577 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 am

eclipse09 wrote:
Schmick wrote:So glad none of my kids wanted to play soccer, I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out with ground up, infected, used douchebags than sit through 2 minutes of soccer

You lucked out. It was not fun, but they liked it for a little bit so I went along for the not so fun ride.... :lol:

My daughter quit softball after first year 12u because she had a bad experience with a meathead angerface former Marines coach, and went to soccer because it was the sport all her friends at school were doing. Halfway through the season, she had a moment of truth and asked herself "what am I doing, I'm a softball player". Never looked back since :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by orange socks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am

During the younger years DD cycled through soccer, basketball, softball and swimming. Played JV ball her freshman year but it was too much along with Fall Showcasing and Theater. Besides that the HS coaches do not make it easy to be a multi sport athlete and too many childish mind games going. DD said she is not going back to back to bball even though she would have been on varsity as a sophomore. I believe all kids should cycle through all the sports in youth and not focus only on full time softball until 2nd year 12U or 14U. Heck my DD had her first paid batting lesson at 14U (8th grade).

I know a D3 softballer that decided that she wanted to try out for her college team. During the tryouts she had a slight tear in her meniscus again, which happened playing basketball the year prior!!! Another surgery and more rehab. I think she learned her lesson.
orange socks

by eclipse09 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm

eddiez577 wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

My daughter quit softball after first year 12u because she had a bad experience with a meathead angerface former Marines coach, and went to soccer because it was the sport all her friends at school were doing. Halfway through the season, she had a moment of truth and asked herself "what am I doing, I'm a softball player". Never looked back since :lol:

Smart girl!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

eclipse09 wrote:

Try being a swimming parent ... Friday night, your kid swims 3 races each being a minute long ... One at 6, one at 8 and one at 10 ... If you leave your cooler in the truck you can barely stumble back in by the 10 pm race, if your lucky.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions