Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Parents missing the BIG PICTURE

What's on your mind?

by Defty » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Yesterday I was watching a PGF qualifier winners bracket game that was super close all the way until the end. There was a college coach in the stands from one of the 2019 WCWS teams. There could have been other college coaches there but I only saw the one coach from my vantage point. Up to that point one of the teams, from a top So Cal organization, had received two warnings from the plate umpire for outbursts. The umpire called strike 3 on the batter (looking). At best the call was questionable. This was out #3, but that wasn't the end of the game, just the end of that inning. One of the parents responded by shouting "You Suck" to the umpire at the top of his lungs, and then quickly retreated into the crowd behind him. Several more parents grumbled and the batter stood there for quite a but with her hands up and mouth opened, staring at the umpire like he was crazy.
As someone that has missed the mark several times, I would never sit here and proclaim that I am above making an equally foolish mistake, but I was thankful to be able to see and learn from this without having a stake in that game. I do however believe this illustration might help some of us parents see that their is a bigger picture at play that we could be negatively affecting by over-investing our emotions in the little picture.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cwcivicgrl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Wow. I exited my daughter from a team whos coach could not keep quite and was ejected from a few tournaments. I don't need my daughter around that negative energy nor do I need to her learning how to be disrespectful and unable to control herself.
I had an incident this weekend I was unhappy about with my daughter and I left to the parking lot till the game was over in an attempt to keep quite and reserve myself thats how you handle a situation your not keen to. My husband stayed, he is definitely not a hot head like me and Im learning everyday that its not worth embarrassing my daughter, walking away is much easier.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Here is my take on it all, DON'T PISS OFF THE UMPIRE!!!! If you do, you will find your pitchers strike zone shrinking and your opposing pitchers strike zone growing.... Coaches that have been around the block a while know this, we might question the blue about his strike zone or a call but we do it respectfully. Most importantly we know you can't ever win arguing balls and strikes with a blue.

It takes parents a little bit to figure out talking shit to a blue is only going to accomplish two things, and that's piss off the umpire and make your coach look bad. Parents losing their shit like that during a game is equivalent to a child stomping his feet and it accomplishes about the same. So unless a parent wants to be labeled "that parent" that coaches will bounce off their team and goes from squad to squad (those who have been in travel ball a long time will know what I'm talking about) parents need to sit back and enjoy the show. Sure heckle the blue from time to time but be respectful about it, thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Ok, so "you suck" is bad.....? How about, "who do you think you are, Roman Polanski, stop trying to screw 13 year old girls" also asking them if they're a Catholic priest or R Kelly works along the same premise. My favorite has always been the old tried and true "that's a fa66ot call" or "::male chicken::sucker call" or asking the ump to get off his knees cause he's blowing the game or if the state allows him to be that close to children because he obviously enjoys screwing them.

The blue crews are getting worse and worse, older and fatter, the best thing you can hope for when one is screwing over your team is to get him so angry he strokes out right there on the dirt and you can watch him die
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:Here is my take on it all, DON'T PISS OFF THE UMPIRE!!!! If you do, you will find your pitchers strike zone shrinking and your opposing pitchers strike zone growing.... Coaches that have been around the block a while know this, we might question the blue about his strike zone or a call but we do it respectfully. Most importantly we know you can't ever win arguing balls and strikes with a blue.

It takes parents a little bit to figure out talking shit to a blue is only going to accomplish two things, and that's piss off the umpire and make your coach look bad. Parents losing their shit like that during a game is equivalent to a child stomping his feet and it accomplishes about the same. So unless a parent wants to be labeled "that parent" that coaches will bounce off their team and goes from squad to squad (those who have been in travel ball a long time will know what I'm talking about) parents need to sit back and enjoy the show. Sure heckle the blue from time to time but be respectful about it, thats my .02

Bad blue is part of the game. Pitchers and batters should make adjustments accordingly.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:06 pm

HAHAHAHAHA, Catholic priest...... I'm dying thats awesome!!!!!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 am

Curv something wrong with that dude.
BTW if you’re staring at the umpire with mouth open, smiling and that look of surprise after staring at strike 3, you look like an idiot!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:06 am

Well I think this thread explains why umps and refs are in short supply......
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:35 am

I think I've made my fair share of mistakes in this scenerio over the years, DD now playing College ball. If I were to offer any advise to the younger DD parents, as previously stated here, take a breath, and don't "Pile On!" Nothing good for your DD can come from this!! Assume the Blue's will be less than perfect and go in with low expectations, that way, you have nothing to complain about!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 pm

His mouth is out of control. He needs to go to the corn field.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions