Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Paying college athletes

What's on your mind?

by notthisagain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 pm

How about this angle. Your paying a girl to be a waitress. She happens to have a nice set of teeth. Daily customers want to have their picture taken with her. So she makes an extra twenty bucks per snapshot at your restaurant.
Is that okay?
Somewhere there's going to be a conflict in this. Either someone's going to want their cut and think they deserve a percentage. Plus the college academic or athletic scholarship is paying the athlete to be there so it's already on their dime. Athletes on the scholarship are on a scholarship for a reason and there's an academic reason and there's an athletic reason they're already being paid to be there. That money has the biggest skin in the game.
notthisagain

by Backnine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 pm

What I am saying is that if Norte Dame wants the best HS quarterback they should be able to pay him whatever they choose plus scholarship.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 pm

And what if the adult student's parents don't want to or choose not to pay for their kids college should have no bearing on how much assistance one should get. These kids are adults. The financial status of their parents should mean zippo.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Got it. Was thinking business endorsments calif?!?
Just more $ money $ in the
book checks. Already happens.

What will then be the difference between college and pro.
Oh yeah a degree.
notthisagain

by DirtyRiders » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Coaches and schools are making a ton of money in the NCAA so why shouldn’t the kids reap some of the benefits from their abilities to perform athletically at the collegiate level. I do think paying amateur athletes will open a big can of worms, but letting a kid “legally” earn some money by signing a jersey or an autograph or doing an appearance or giving lessons or having a camp is arguably a good way for these athletes to profit from their ability to perform athletically.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:00 pm

If the referenced amateur athlete is being paid by a business endorsement are they still an amateur athlete? Or then what defines a pro?
Colleges already pay athletes in different checks they disburse to them. Extra money in them is not a new thing.
notthisagain

by DirtyRiders » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 pm

notthisagain wrote:If the referenced amateur athlete is being paid by a business endorsement are they still an amateur athlete? Or then what defines a pro?
Colleges already pay athletes in different checks they disburse to them. Extra money in them is not a new thing.

There’s your answer Numero....I guess end of discussion!!!
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Spazsdad wrote:The power 5 conferences already offer a stipend to scholarship athletes to cover daily life incidentals, as high as 5-6k per year.
Your payment is your scholarship but like most things today it’s never enough.

I agree. I really don't mind someone getting a little kick back off jerseys, number, etc...but how long before it turns into the richest colleges buying the best athletes? I don't know how one could police that.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by DirtyRiders » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Battle wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:The power 5 conferences already offer a stipend to scholarship athletes to cover daily life incidentals, as high as 5-6k per year.
Your payment is your scholarship but like most things today it’s never enough.

I agree. I really don't mind someone getting a little kick back off jerseys, number, etc...but how long before it turns into the richest colleges buying the best athletes? I don't know how one could police that.

Isn’t that already happening? Or I am supposed to believe that every athlete just really wants to play in the SEC? The rich always get richer!!
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm

notthisagain wrote:If the referenced amateur athlete is being paid by a business endorsement are they still an amateur athlete? Or then what defines a pro?

notthisagain
notthisagain

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions