Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What kind of changes are coming?

What's on your mind?

by PairOfAces » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:41 am

Based on the COVID-19 pandemic, do you think we will see many changes in the way Americans live their lives?

A couple that I can see happening:

Many more people working from home than before. Why make people come to an office situation when a secure server can allow them to do the same work from home. Less office space needed for the businesses, less traffic on the roads, much less chance of spreading infectious diseases, including the common cold, among an office full of people.

Home schooling. Either voluntarily by the parents, or high schools and colleges doing it on their own for the same reasons as above. My older daughter is starting her on-line classes to finish this semester today, so we will see how that goes. I have never taken an on-line college course, but I did plenty of work training on-line before I retired and it seemed to work just as good as traveling to a location and sitting in a conference room with others who had to travel.

Things that already happen that will grow tremendously IMO - grocery and food delivery. Shop on-line and have someone deliver it to your house, or stop in the market parking lot and pick it up. Either way, a time save and less public contact than going up and down the aisles with all kinds of ill people who used the cart before you, or who picked up the item and put it back on the shelf right before you picked it up. (thought of this one while shopping at Wally World yesterday - creeped me out even though I am not a germophobe. Businesses like Door Dash growing rapidly.

Any others?
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 am

All of what you have said make sense. I think many who have not used these services before have learned how convenient and useful they are. I hope many will also become more aware of hygiene and cleaning. I also hope people will also learn more about caring for one another. We will see. I also hope more people and companies will keep better cash reserves to better prepare for unplanned crises. We will probably see new forms of insurance as well
jonriv

by Backnine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am

Many elderly people thought that having groceries delivered was the best thing since sliced bread and then realized grocery shopping was part of their social life. Things will change but not as drastically as one might think.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:36 am

The next generation (after Gen Z) will all be screwed up socially. Social distancing will be the norm, not the exception. Traditional hand shake greeting will likely be replaced.
Gig economy will be a plausible job option, with benefits, full time employment, sick pay, etc. California spearheading this in the next 2yrs, after many revisions.
Computer-Illiterate people will not be a thing anymore, what with all the mobile device apps (not "cell phone"lol), self-checkout, touch screen everything, etc.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Although it would be nice to have less people on the road and having more people work from home, I tend to agree with Spazsdad....I think in a lot of areas it will be back to business as usual. You have to remember although there are a lot of people who are adhering to the pressure to self quarantine and to maintain social distancing, some of these same people think the reaction to this pandemic is irrational and simply doesn’t add up if you look at the numbers. As the merchandise manager for Costco I can tell you first hand our members don’t give a rats Ass abou social distancing and it has been business as usual to say the least!!!!
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am

Spazsdad wrote:
eddiez577 wrote:The next generation (after Gen Z) will all be screwed up socially.
Gig economy will be a plausible job option, with benefits, full time employment, sick pay, etc. California spearheading this in the next 2yrs, after many revisions..

They already are screwed up. Poor speaking skills, poor interaction skills. They live in a pretend online world. Try hiring many of them these days. You’re lucky if they even show up on time.
CA is doing everything in their power to kill Gig economy now. They just passed legislation basically eliminating thousands of theses types of jobs.
Don’t see how the state will be spearheading anything other than unfunded pension liability

Spaz I think you have the wrong Generation in mind. Most teens & young adults you mention are Gen Z.
The generation following Gen Z are currently 10 & under. Those kids are going to grow up socially awkward.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions