Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

California TCS Sparkler cancelled?

What's on your mind?

by DirtyRiders » Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 pm

To make those claims? Those numbers are straight from the CDC website. I’m not claiming anything I’m simply saying that 99.5% of Americans have not been infected. So you answered my question....you’re saying we should not play softball again because millions of Americans “might” have the virus and we won’t know until everyone is tested?
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 am

DirtyRiders wrote:People seem to focus on who has the virus or who unfortunately has died because of this virus. To shed light on this a different way there are 329,474,416 Americans out of 331,002,651 who have not been infected by this virus. That means 99.5% of Americans have not been infected. 330,910,987 out of 331,002,651 Americans are Alive in spite of this virus. That means 99.97% of all Americans are Alive in spite of this virus. I agree with setting guidelines to return to the field even with those numbers, but at what point is it ok to focus on the population that doesn’t have the virus. The mortality rate is misleading because it doesn’t account for the 329,474,416 healthy Americans.

Less than 4% of Americans have been tested- ultimately the best judge if covid deaths are over or under reported will be the Excess Deaths- huge variations state by state, but probably give the best indication on the epidemic's impact

Also, there seems to be an after effect on kids. There has been an outbreak of a very rare "Kawasaki" syndrome on kids previously with covid in NY, now showing up in other places NY, Colorado and California. Something to watch
jonriv

by Schmoopy » Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm

jonriv wrote:
DirtyRiders wrote:People seem to focus on who has the virus or who unfortunately has died because of this virus. To shed light on this a different way there are 329,474,416 Americans out of 331,002,651 who have not been infected by this virus. That means 99.5% of Americans have not been infected. 330,910,987 out of 331,002,651 Americans are Alive in spite of this virus. That means 99.97% of all Americans are Alive in spite of this virus. I agree with setting guidelines to return to the field even with those numbers, but at what point is it ok to focus on the population that doesn’t have the virus. The mortality rate is misleading because it doesn’t account for the 329,474,416 healthy Americans.

Less than 4% of Americans have been tested- ultimately the best judge if covid deaths are over or under reported will be the Excess Deaths- huge variations state by state, but probably give the best indication on the epidemic's impact

Also, there seems to be an after effect on kids. There has been an outbreak of a very rare "Kawasaki" syndrome on kids previously with covid in NY, now showing up in other places NY, Colorado and California. Something to watch

My kids are seen at Children's here in Colorado, they have a rare autoimmune disease. We've been given a heads up about this as well.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... mis-c.html

They also just signed us up for a study too.

Honestly, I just want to follow the NCAA, the Little League World Series, the Pro's, the public school system etc.... can we just shut down this season and try again next year? I don't want to risk my daughter's health to play softball. This is a National past time, not essential jobs. Issue these families refunds(who most have been financially effected by this pandemic as it is) and lets focus on 2021.
Please.
Schmoopy

by DirtyRiders » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. You raise a good point....and it is definitely thought provoking...is it worth it to just wait till 2021 to start back up for the safety of the kids. I would say on the surface no it’s not worth our kids safety to start playing again. But as a Father who is sympathetic to the unimaginable circumstances you have endured I still have to ask when is it ok to concern ourselves with the kids who don’t have the virus.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LoveMeSomeFastpitch » Sun May 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Please forgive my ignorance with this question, but does anyone know why PGF isn't keeping the tournament link on their website better updated on the cancelation of tournaments? There was supposed to be a Memorial Day kickoff this weekend in NorCal, and even today it's up there on their website with the teams scheduled to participate. No mention of it being canceled. Obviously it was canceled, but what about next week? I have a friend who told me last night his daughter's team was given the green light for their tournament next weekend. Given that we are still in stage 2 of the reopening, I told him to not hold his breath. I'm just asking as a courtesy and with all due respect, could the folks at PGF please just post it on your tournament page a few days in advance when you've made a decision to cancel a tournament, so people can plan accordingly? Thank you!
Last edited by LoveMeSomeFastpitch on Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveMeSomeFastpitch

by newbie101 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 pm

I am not sure what the big Rush to play is for all these 12u & 14u teams, event the 16u teams. I mean, I as much as the next parent want to get out and see my kids play. But I also see numbers of infections still on the rise & everything is opening up regardless of it. Your 12u player is not going to miss her scholarship chance if she does not get to play this next weekend.
To all of the Teams that are playing when they are not allowed, all you are doing is prolonging things for everyone else.
I know some of the coaches need to justify charging dues, but why put society at risk to do it. Our coach reduced dues when this started and we just now started doing one on one hitting. For the States that are allowing tournaments and inviting teams from other states to attend, that is just plain STUPID. Even if your state is good or your County (OC) why oh why would you want to invite a bunch of teams & families from other areas & states that may bring infection to your own home? Just to make a couple bucks. I mean seriously if PGF & TCS & all the other smaller Orgs. really cared about the players & communities health & safety, they would just stop pushing and wait for the all clear. I mean another annoying thing is all the "well Next week or two we will have an event" BS. If the States are not allowing even small groups to be on the athletic fields, what makes you think in a few weeks they would allow groups of 80 or more. At best I think teams will be allowed to play 1 game or a double header at a time and that would maybe late July or even August if we are lucky. Again I am all for wanting to get out there but pump the brakes & have a reality check. Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just dont get what the big rush is.
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Luiaguilera » Sun May 24, 2020 2:37 pm

newbie101 wrote:I am not sure what the big Rush to play is for all these 12u & 14u teams, event the 16u teams. I mean, I as much as the next parent want to get out and see my kids play. But I also see numbers of infections still on the rise & everything is opening up regardless of it. Your 12u player is not going to miss her scholarship chance if she does not get to play this next weekend.
To all of the Teams that are playing when they are not allowed, all you are doing is prolonging things for everyone else.
I know some of the coaches need to justify charging dues, but why put society at risk to do it. Our coach reduced dues when this started and we just now started doing one on one hitting. For the States that are allowing tournaments and inviting teams from other states to attend, that is just plain STUPID. Even if your state is good or your County (OC) why oh why would you want to invite a bunch of teams & families from other areas & states that may bring infection to your own home? Just to make a couple bucks. I mean seriously if PGF & TCS & all the other smaller Orgs. really cared about the players & communities health & safety, they would just stop pushing and wait for the all clear. I mean another annoying thing is all the "well Next week or two we will have an event" BS. If the States are not allowing even small groups to be on the athletic fields, what makes you think in a few weeks they would allow groups of 80 or more. At best I think teams will be allowed to play 1 game or a double header at a time and that would maybe late July or even August if we are lucky. Again I am all for wanting to get out there but pump the brakes & have a reality check. Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just dont get what the big rush is.

Well said, probably the best response on here !!!!
Luiaguilera
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sdiamond » Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 am

by LoveMeSomeFastpitch » Sun May 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Please forgive my ignorance with this question, but does anyone know why PGF isn't keeping the tournament link on their website better updated on the cancelation of tournaments? There was supposed to be a Memorial Day kickoff this weekend in NorCal, and even today it's up there on their website with the teams scheduled to participate. No mention of it being canceled. Obviously it was canceled, but what about next week? I have a friend who told me last night his daughter's team was given the green light for their tournament next weekend. Given that we are still in stage 2 of the reopening, I told him to not hold his breath. I'm just asking as a courtesy and with all due respect, could the folks at PGF please just post it on your tournament page a few days in advance when you've made a decision to cancel a tournament, so people can plan accordingly? Thank you

PGF has its own thread and this is a very good question.
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 pm

newbie101 wrote:I am not sure what the big Rush to play is for all these 12u & 14u teams, event the 16u teams. I mean, I as much as the next parent want to get out and see my kids play. But I also see numbers of infections still on the rise & everything is opening up regardless of it. Your 12u player is not going to miss her scholarship chance if she does not get to play this next weekend.

Ha! Even with the name newbie you must know about all of the crazy travel ball parents!!

I think things should move slowly as well, but I also think we need to move forward not stand still. That being said big tournaments will not happen anytime soon. I think it will remain local with guidelines in place. Other states have started youth sports so that will be a good gauge to see how things are going.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 pm

I agree with taking things slow and also don’t see the rush. I do however see an importance of getting kids back to a sense of normality. There’s a chance that the virus will be around for some time and may even have future outbreaks. So I guess I would argue how do we know what the difference is if we start next month or next year? It seems that the threat of infection may always be here. I will say that the Big tourney directors aren’t in any rush. PGF qualifiers in Texas, Indiana , and New Mexico have been cancelled or postponed. And a Colorado qualifier the weekend of 6/13 has also been postponed. TCS has moved back the start date of our SoCal weekly summer league from 6/1 to 6/22. So at least in these areas they are not rushing through this. I’m sure we’ll find out in the next few days if the PGF SoCal qualifiers will be postponed.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions